cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined and privacy is sketchy af

DanCoco
Mt. Kenya

In looking to see if Strava was worth it, I couldn't dind a clear list of free ca paid features, but found an article about privacy and that I have to opt out of everything. 

Every. single. option. to allow or deny a privacy permission defaulted to sharing data except the health data option. 

I'm giving Strava a try to possibly replace Google's Fitbit before they completely butcher it. 

This privacy thing is a huge turn off. 

Is it worth staying if I stay on the free license? I'm just interested in biking, and maybe discovering new routes locally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @DanCoco 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Strava community.

Strava is designed with the premise that people motivate people and that participating with the broad community helps unlock exploration, inspiration, and motivation. 

Strava has a vibrant community with a variety of privacy preferences. Some users want their activities to be shared and to have a fully public experience, including wanting people to see the details of their activities. Some users use the product for more personal reasons and want to keep some or all elements of their activities private in a number of ways. 

Given the different preferences of our users, we provide privacy controls, along with information to understand what those controls mean, that can be used to customize the experience to your personal preferences. We care deeply about our entire community’s privacy and provide these controls so that our users can shape their experience according to their preferences.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @DanCoco 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Strava community.

Strava is designed with the premise that people motivate people and that participating with the broad community helps unlock exploration, inspiration, and motivation. 

Strava has a vibrant community with a variety of privacy preferences. Some users want their activities to be shared and to have a fully public experience, including wanting people to see the details of their activities. Some users use the product for more personal reasons and want to keep some or all elements of their activities private in a number of ways. 

Given the different preferences of our users, we provide privacy controls, along with information to understand what those controls mean, that can be used to customize the experience to your personal preferences. We care deeply about our entire community’s privacy and provide these controls so that our users can shape their experience according to their preferences.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings