cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here? Come say Hello and tell us your favorite place on earth to ride, hike, walk or run

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello and Welcome to the Strava Community Hub.  We're so glad you're here.

If you're new here, then it's a little Community ritual we like to keep going each month to have you come and introduce yourself. Share whatever you're comfortable with, whether that's what activities you like to do, what you're interested in learning from other Strava athletes to help you go further, or just a random fact about yourself.

For February, let's talk about your all time favorite place to be active - whether that's riding a bike, hiking, walking or something else entirely.

There's lots of places I love to ride my road bike, but my all time favorite is on the country roads west of Morristown, New Jersey, USA.  The labyrinth of winding roads snake through beautiful green countryside, the pavement is smooth, and  vehicle traffic is almost non-existent.  The hills are mostly rolling and the other cyclists you encounter are prone to smiling and waving.  

BearOnRoad.png

This particular ride, from last summer, was memorable because I encountered a large black bear in the middle of the road.  He showed no interest in moving or letting me pass, so I played it safe and retreated back the way I had come.  And no, I didn't stop and take a picture.  

Drop a reply below - we would love to hear from you!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

11 REPLIES 11

Sashadeieso
Mt. Kenya

I ride throughout Morris and Hunterdon counties in NJ. Spectacular scenery, quiet roads and friendly cyclists abound. I have encountered 2 bears to date. I love these areas as well. My favorite places to ride. 

Hi @Sashadeieso 

Thanks for sharing.  I'm hoping to get back to NJ for some riding this coming spring.  Not hoping to see anymore bears although it did make for a memorable experience.  Apparently the bear population in Morris County has been growing in recent years and it's not unusual to spot them.  

Jane (she/her)

TheOriginalCW
Shkhara

Stone Mountain GA and Arabia Mountain Path!👊🏾💯❤🏋️‍♂️🚴‍♂️🙏🏾

FB_IMG_1526425215919.jpg

noahawaii
Shkhara

Always a trail on Kauaʻi without a doubt!

slowfoot
Mt. Kenya

I live in Europe, in the middle of a small wine region in Hungary. This is where I like to run the most. Cool forest paths alternate with sunny vineyards. Birdsong, deer hooting... in autumn, the sounds of the harvest. People are kind and smiling. I just love it. ❤️

IMG_20220822_080803.jpgstrava1562610556.jpg62601315_2234406943475605_492083074641690624_o.jpg

Hi @slowfoot 

Thank you for sharing!  That looks like a beautiful area.  There's nothing more peaceful than the sound of birdsong in my opinion.  

Is that area very hilly - 283 meters of elevation over 8k is a lot!  Do you ever reward yourself after a hard run, with a nice glass of wine made from those vineyards?

Jane (she/her)

Thanks @Jane ;
Yes, exactly. Sometimes the chilled reward wine awaits  🍷😀

Shant
Mount Logan

Thanks Jane! Marathon training is going well. 40 days away. 

This morning I was tired and run started out difficult. I thought I would cut it short, but once I started running I felt great and went further than I thought I would. Improving every day. Learning more each day. Just have to keep moving.

Shant Hagopian
Attorney & Athlete
Next race: LA Marathon (3/17/24)

Shant
Mount Logan

Infinity TrackInfinity TrackThe PathThe Path

Shant Hagopian
Attorney & Athlete
Next race: LA Marathon (3/17/24)