cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava You Don't Have Rights To My Exercise Information. I Will NEVER Pay You for my own data...

CAG
Shkhara

Strava you have no rights to my exercise data. Nor do you have the right to try to charge me to access my own data. You will never get a dime from me as long as you continue to try to run this site by trying to coerce paid memberships. My Data is My Data. It isn't yours to try to hold over my head for money. Your business model needs a rethink.

13 REPLIES 13

@CAG, you are correct - it used to be free, but in order to continue to exist, Strava needs to generate revenue.  You can still see all of your data in the "My Activities" page, and you can also download all of your data and visualize it in any way you see fit (the download all data is part of the 'delete account' page, but you don't have to delete you account, just go to that page).

The "Training Log" is a feature that requires a subscription - since Strava has to pay engineers to build this visualization, and pay product managers and designers to come up with the feature requirements, and pay support staff to support.  If you want the features that are behind the pay wall, then you need to pay the cost of a Starbucks Latte each month to get it, or download the data (free) and build your own data visualization.  

Ian
Elbrus

What business model do you suggest ? Relying on charitable donations to cover their costs ?

I suggest they use an honest business model and tell users upfront they are going to limit, and then take away user access to their own data over time and then charge them a subscription fee to get it back again. I have been a member for quite a few years and my previous access was not limited from all of my own data, but has become limited over time. Strava already makes the vast majority of their income from other means than changing their members to access their own generated data. They should not try to snake more away from users that have no desire to use their other features that do not involve their own specific data. That data is gathered by devices outside of Strava as I do not use the Strava App. If I used the Starva App I would not dispute paying for what it generated, but again I don't use it...

I think you are confusing data with feature.  They have not removed any access to your data, they have simply made some features "subscription features" and left some as "free features".  You have access to all of your data - if the subscription features are not compelling enough for you to pay, then you are correct to remain on the free plan, but then you need to build your own visualization.  If those features are important to you, then you need to pay.  

I think the issue you may have comes from when Strava made a determination on which features were no longer free - likely due to the cost of building and supporting those features.  At some point, if we want Strava to continue to exist (we do), then we need to be willing to pay to use the service... or be satisfied with what the free offering is.