cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava You Don't Have Rights To My Exercise Information. I Will NEVER Pay You for my own data...

CAG
Shkhara

Strava you have no rights to my exercise data. Nor do you have the right to try to charge me to access my own data. You will never get a dime from me as long as you continue to try to run this site by trying to coerce paid memberships. My Data is My Data. It isn't yours to try to hold over my head for money. Your business model needs a rethink.

11 REPLIES 11

Mason
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@CAG

We do not require a subscription for you to access data you’ve uploaded to Strava. You have the ability to see the data you’ve chosen to sync or upload to Strava, at any time, for free. Additionally, there are multiple tools and features that all athletes, regardless of subscription status, can access and benefit from.

Some of our features do require a subscription. However, subscription-only features are typically enhanced analysis or visualizations of data that Strava built on top of athletes’ raw data. You do not need a subscription to access the data you provided to Strava.

Lastly, our terms of service, which you’ve agreed to upon account creation, state that “you own your content, but give us a right to use it”. If you’d like to move to another platform, you have the ability to export your data in bulk or delete your account, for free, at any time.

Mason
(She/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

This is not true. Strava now charges for much access to the riders own data and puts up blocks to access and search that data effectively. You can not search and display only ride data from the specific day it was entered from the rider. Your search limitations do not give you correct results under date searches. When I first joined this was not an issue nor was  access to my training log but am now blocked because I will not pay for access... The Exact Message is

Analyze Your Training

Quickly scan your past activities to spot training patterns or trends

SUBSCRIBE

And the training log is greyed out behind it and inaccessible.

@CAG - something in this comment caught my eye, which I think is a feature suggestion (also, look at my other reply to you on this thread regarding the 'free' vs. 'paid' aspect).  You are correct regarding the search capability (My Activities) - it is quite rudimentary, and you could put in a feature suggestion to enhance the ability to search for your activities (say by date, date range, distance, etc.).

CreakyCrank
Kilimanjaro

Uh... if you don't want Strava to "have your data", then don't use Strava... delete your account.  If you use Strava (which you must), then you need to understand that a) you signed an agreement for what they can do with the data and b) that they can't show you information without that data (your place on leaderboards, your best efforts, etc.).  I'm not really sure what your game is here - but honestly, you are making no sense to me.

Also... you do not have to pay Strava, they have a free tier, it just limits the functionality.  If you want that functionality, you have to pay.  Just like a mobile phone... you can buy one and not pay for mobile service, but then the phone is limited in what you can do with it... if you want to use the mobile network, then you pay for it.

Maybe you can clarify what it is you are looking for here - then this community can better help you achieve your goals?  Is it the ability to export your data from Strava (you can, and people here can help you with that).  Is it the ability to prevent others from seeing your rides/data on Strava (you can do that too - people here can help).   Let this community help you, by telling us what you are actually trying to accomplish, otherwise, it comes across as a rant.

Former Member
Not applicable

How do you access the free version.

I have just downloaded it and the ONLY option offered is free trial followed by subscription. 

Thanks for any help.

Hey @Former Member , 
Thanks for your post. You can use Strava for free, without a subscription. We do offer additional features that are available under our Subscription service. You can read more about Strava Subscription here: Strava Subscription and Pricing. If you have a question about your account, please submit a support ticket and we can help you out.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Strava has to give the user the ability to keep and use his own data and not share it.  I do already know about the free membership as I am using it and strava is trying to get me to subscribe to have access to my own training log which is 100% composed of my own ride data. This access used to be free and is now part of the subscription.

@CAG, you are correct - it used to be free, but in order to continue to exist, Strava needs to generate revenue.  You can still see all of your data in the "My Activities" page, and you can also download all of your data and visualize it in any way you see fit (the download all data is part of the 'delete account' page, but you don't have to delete you account, just go to that page).

The "Training Log" is a feature that requires a subscription - since Strava has to pay engineers to build this visualization, and pay product managers and designers to come up with the feature requirements, and pay support staff to support.  If you want the features that are behind the pay wall, then you need to pay the cost of a Starbucks Latte each month to get it, or download the data (free) and build your own data visualization.  

Ian
Elbrus

What business model do you suggest ? Relying on charitable donations to cover their costs ?