cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuesday Chat with Team Strava: History of Strava Week 3 - Strava by Numbers

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello and welcome to this week’s edition of Tuesday Chat with Team Strava!  

Let’s start by harkening back to 2009, the year Strava was founded.  At the very beginning, we supported one activity type, (cycling), and one device type (Garmin).  If you were a cyclist with a Garmin cycling computer, you could use Strava.

Oh how things have changed!  Over the intervening years we’ve expanded to include a wide variety of activity types, including water sports, winter sports, indoor workouts, and many others. 

Some of our most recent activity type additions include Football (soccer), golf, sailing and skateboarding. 

NewSportTypes.png

In addition we’ve worked hard to integrate with a large number of devices, Apps, and platforms, so our Athletes have a wide variety of choices when it comes to recording their data and getting it on Strava.

compatible.jpg

Strava Athletes can now record and upload using Garmin, Wahoo, Suunto, Zwift, Apple Watch, Whoop, Polar, Lezyne, Soleus, Peloton, Rouvy, Android Wear, Cateye, Bryton, Amazfit and many more, including our Mobile Apps for IOS and Android phones.  What’s your favorite recording device or App?

Now for some numbers about what’s at the heart of Strava - and that’s you, the Athlete.  Our mission is to build the most engaged community of Athletes in the world. 

In early 2020, we hit a major milestone, when we achieved 50 million registered Athletes on Strava, from 195 countries around the world. 

This week’s trivia question:   In May of 2022 we hit another milestone at Strava.  Was it:

1.  We reached 75 million registered Strava Athletes
  2. We reached 3 billion activity uploads to Strava
  3. We reached 100 million registered Strava Athletes

Drop us a reply and give us your best guess.  While you’re at it, tell us what year you joined Strava, what are your favorite devices or Apps to record with, and how many times a week you typically upload activities to Strava.

Be sure to come back next Tuesday for the answer, and please subscribe to this series.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello again!  

Thanks to you all for joining this discussion and this series on Strava History!

The trivia question we asked was:

In May of 2022 we hit another milestone at Strava.  Was it:

Congrats to everyone who picked #3.  That's right, in May of 2022 we reached 100 million registered Athletes on Strava, and we're proud to say we have Athletes in every country on earth.

Also - be sure to join the conversation in the final installment of our Strava history posts, and subscribe so you don't miss any future posts in the Tuesday Chat with Team Strava series.  

Jane (she/her)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello again!  

Thanks to you all for joining this discussion and this series on Strava History!

The trivia question we asked was:

In May of 2022 we hit another milestone at Strava.  Was it:

Congrats to everyone who picked #3.  That's right, in May of 2022 we reached 100 million registered Athletes on Strava, and we're proud to say we have Athletes in every country on earth.

Also - be sure to join the conversation in the final installment of our Strava history posts, and subscribe so you don't miss any future posts in the Tuesday Chat with Team Strava series.  

Jane (she/her)

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

Guessing #3 based on how many people I know joined during the pandemic.

I joined in 2016 (I think). I’d decided to give running a go and probably downloaded the app while I laced up a battered old pair of trainers to go out for my first run.

I got a Garmin watch pretty quickly and use it for every activity. Thankfully I’m not part of any group that mocks pace or distance, which some people seem to worry about. There’s at least one twitter account set up for the purpose but that is typical of bits of twitter…

also don’t subscribe to the idea of a free-er experience without a watch; I often use heart rate to keep my pace low or start it and switch to clock if I only want a map at the end.

Probably 4-5 activities a week on average.

Hmm, just had an idea… 💡

Maybenaught
Pico de Orizaba

I guess #2.

I upload 3-4x a week using a Garmin watch, which has been so much nicer than what I used to do...which was just carrying my phone running with the Strava app going. There used to be a lot more things to carry while running! I started using Strava in 2019.

cy-linder
Pico de Orizaba

I think it is #3.

I can't really remember when I joined the first time but I (re)joined STRAVA in 2020. My favorite recording device is my Wahoo which records and uploads at least 8 activities a week. Most of the time it is more...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/62919839

MattS_bsb
Elbrus

Guessing #2, only because it's a pretty large number!

Joined STRAVA in July 2017 and have been using Garmin FENIX watches to record all my runs/rides/workouts; the integration with Concept2 is a nice feature to upload and keep track of my rowing pieces, and this is the first year I've set distance goals in STRAVA for both running AND rowing!  Activity upload is pretty much daily.