cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuesday Chat with Team Strava: History of Strava Week 4 - final quiz

Soren
Denali

Happy Tuesday and welcome back to Tuesday Chat with Team Strava! Our aim with this series is to give you an exclusive glimpse into all things Strava that you normally wouldn’t find elsewhere and to open up discussions with all of you strivers! The series will continue, but this is the final post with the 'History of Strava' theme.

This week we have prepared another fun quiz to see if you can identify the false statement from the (2) true ones.

For the past 3 weeks we’ve discussed the inception of Strava dating back to the mid-90s giving some background on how our co-founders met on the rowing team, the humble and rather astonishing origin story of Strava segments, major milestones that we’ve celebrated and more. In case you missed those posts, you can find them here.

Image of person holding a cellphone navigating the Strava appImage of person holding a cellphone navigating the Strava app

It’s no secret that Strava has undergone a ton of changes since it first came to life. Did you know that at one point the logo was green because our CEO and co-founder Michael Horvath wanted to emphasize and bring attention to sustainability and environmental concerns? Personally, I can’t imagine Strava being anything but its iconic orange self!

Now for this week’s trivia question! We are presenting two truths and a lie.

Guess which one of the following is the incorrect statement:

giphy-downsized

Shortly after Strava was launched…

1. Only activities that had been recorded with a Garmin device could be uploaded
  2. There was a separate Strava app created only for runners
  3. An ad-free version of the app was made available to subscribers only

Write your guess in the comments along with 2 truths and 1 lie about yourself, so that others can take turns guessing yours!

We'll reveal the false statement next week and hope you enjoyed learning about our history.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Soren
Denali

Hello everybody 👋
I'm back to reveal the correct answer. Last week's question was:

We are presenting two truths and a lie. Guess which one of the following is the incorrect statement:

1. Only activities that had been recorded with a Garmin device could be uploaded

If you guessed c. An ad-free version of the app was made available to subscribers only, then you correctly identified the false statement! 

In week 3's post we mentioned that you could only record activities using a Garmin device when Strava initially launched, and it's also true that it was a cycling-only platform. Therefore A and B are true statements.

An old green Strava logoAn old green Strava logo

When Strava was officially launched in 2009 by a small team of 6 people relying on word of mouth to divulge what Strava is (and manually registering each user!), it was only intended for cyclists. There was even a point in time when there was a separate Strava app for runners, it wasn’t until 2014 that everything was merged. Fast forward to now and there are over 40 Sport Types (and more to come!) and a plethora of new helpful features for every level of activity to support, motivate and connect you to others through movement!

Thanks for participating and take a look at this week's Tuesday Chat interview with Mateo A. Ortega, VP of Connected Partnerships at Strava and wish him luck on the New York Marathon this weekend! 💪

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Soren
Denali

Hello everybody 👋
I'm back to reveal the correct answer. Last week's question was:

We are presenting two truths and a lie. Guess which one of the following is the incorrect statement:

If you guessed c. An ad-free version of the app was made available to subscribers only, then you correctly identified the false statement! 

In week 3's post we mentioned that you could only record activities using a Garmin device when Strava initially launched, and it's also true that it was a cycling-only platform. Therefore A and B are true statements.

An old green Strava logoAn old green Strava logo

When Strava was officially launched in 2009 by a small team of 6 people relying on word of mouth to divulge what Strava is (and manually registering each user!), it was only intended for cyclists. There was even a point in time when there was a separate Strava app for runners, it wasn’t until 2014 that everything was merged. Fast forward to now and there are over 40 Sport Types (and more to come!) and a plethora of new helpful features for every level of activity to support, motivate and connect you to others through movement!

Thanks for participating and take a look at this week's Tuesday Chat interview with Mateo A. Ortega, VP of Connected Partnerships at Strava and wish him luck on the New York Marathon this weekend! 💪

VikK
Kilimanjaro

I also think it was B

Vik

realised there are 2 true statements, may have been a different app for subscribers. B and C is my final answer

Vik

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

My guess is that B is false and A and C are true.

About me:

1- I walked the length of Wales and across England from coast to coast as a teenager.

2- I ran a half marathon a year after taking up the sport of running.

3- At my last half marathon, the only person that finished after me had not recovered full from a COVID-19 chest infection.

Hey ya!

Cool thing, did a similar thing here in Switzerland!

I crossed the country by foot on the ViaAlpina (300km) this summer. 
An amazing experience with some spectacular views ☀️🏔️and some relly steep climbs 🥵

Hey @Laura -- welcome to the Community! That sounds like such a fun summer adventure, how long did that take you to complete? 

Hi @mercerkg 

A coast to coast walk through Wales and across England sounds pretty epic.  How far was it in kilometers and how long did it take you?

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

Wainwright's A Coast To Coast Walk is 310km and the Offa's Dyke Long Distance path is 285km.

We did them in two separate trips and took (about) 2 weeks for each (it was a long time ago!)

Unless I didn't 😉

BryanC
Pico de Orizaba

I guess c

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings