cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make it easy to set my location on support site

wookasz
Shkhara

I have no clue how to change my location. It keeps showing "Mont Blanc" despite me setting my "location" in "My Settings"/"Personal"/"Personal Information". Where is "Mont Blanc" coming from? I'm not in France or Italy...really!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lola
Moderator Moderator

Hello @wookasz!

Under your Community Hub username at the moment it says ''Mont Blanc''. This is due to our Community member ranks!

Every athlete in the community has a rank based on their contributions and ranks are named after prominent peaks of the world. Therefore, this doesn't mark your physical location, but rather the rank you are currently holding in the Community Hub. Hope this helps 🙂

Lola
(She/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

matcar97
Mt. Kenya

Does anyone know how to change the location? Below my name comes the “Mont Blanc” location, which seems by default as I see in several other participants the same location. I tried to change in the profile and settings but I see nowhere where to amend this.

Thanks for asking this question. Did the information in this post help answer this for you or can we help with any further questions on this?

Eve
(She/her)

Visit our Help Center to search our support articles

LouB
Strava Alumni

Hi @wookasz thank you for highlighting the confusion around this UI element. We took this feedback and made an improvement to the Profile page by adding hover text to the rank title that appears under a Community Username. This will now display on both your own Profile page when you hover over the rank title or if you visit another member's Profile Page. We hope this helps anyone with the same question about what this represents. 

Rank title hover text infoRank title hover text info

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback and we hope this is helpful. 

Eve
(She/her)

Visit our Help Center to search our support articles

A hover feature is not effective on a mobile device.

Lola
Moderator Moderator

Hello @wookasz!

Under your Community Hub username at the moment it says ''Mont Blanc''. This is due to our Community member ranks!

Every athlete in the community has a rank based on their contributions and ranks are named after prominent peaks of the world. Therefore, this doesn't mark your physical location, but rather the rank you are currently holding in the Community Hub. Hope this helps 🙂

Lola
(She/her)

I agree this is very confusing and annoying to see a location and not have it explicitly state that it is a community ranking. If Strava wants to leave a community ranking then it should display "community rank" in a field above or below the location. Right now it does look like the person's location.

Additionally, without any explanation of what each peak means there's no relative information. I didn't know where Mont Blanc was and I don't know how it stacks up against other peaks that may be in the community ranking, so the system feels completely arbitrary.

Often rankings are included to gamify these types of communities so that people participate more. Without having a key to understanding the ranking system no one will know what to do with their rank or know how many more points or posts they need to get to the next rank if that's something they are interested in.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings