Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Athlete Capacity is 99 - this is far too low and I'm extremely concerned

Tyler
Strava
Strava

Hi there,

I have just had my submission approved for the Strava Developer program. In the e-mail, it included that I now have rate limits that are higher than they previously were, which is great. However, it included that my "athlete capacity" is now only 99 - whereas previously it was unlimited for all API applications.

I already have 96 athletes connected - you can see how many you have once approved. This limit of 99 is far too low and I am extremely concerned. It reads as though my application, among many others, has/have just been broken for new users.

Bunsen_0-1683149465716.png

I have a bunch of questions: 

• What happens if I reach the 99 athlete limit and another tries to connect? What is the error message so that this can elegantly be handled?
  • How am I supposed to deauthorize an athlete? My application is a visualization app which has very few concurrent users. However, it may have many connected athletes as they will connect, use the application, and likely forget about it. This seems like an obvious and serious fault of this approach of limiting athletes - the number of connected athletes does not necessarily reflect the scale of the application. I may get and lose a new user every day for a year. The actual athlete usage of my app has not changed, yet my utilized capacity has grown since they do not deauthorize.
  • How can I appeal to have this limit raised?

The e-mail contents I'm referring to:

Moving forward, here’s what you can expect for your app:

Overall Rate Limit: allows for 600 requests every 15 min, with up to 6,000 requests per day
Read Rate Limit: allows for 300 requests every 15 min, with up to 3,000 requests per day
Athlete Capacity: 99

3 REPLIES 3

kimbad
Mt. Kenya

My app has been approved as well with exactly the same limits. I previously had a limit of 30,000 requests per day so it looks like they are setting a standard amount. The new limit makes it almost impossible for my app to work under the T&C of the api as I am caching man y segments to improve performance but these need to be refreshed every 7 days to comply. How do we reach out to request a change?

Elliott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thanks for submitting to the developer program!

We appreciate the questions surrounding athlete capacity for your app - if you'd like to reach out to us at , our team can take a look.

Thanks! 

Hi!

Here I have the same problem of Athlete Capacity and I reached out through developers at strava.com 

Thank you in advance!

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings