cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register an App w/o Subscription

GudeStefan
Mt. Kenya

My understanding is that the only way to register multiple apps is to create an account for each, as a single account cannot be associated with more than one app. As such I set up a new account, however was unable to register my new app as I did not have permission to access strava.com/settings/api. In the UI this appeared as the "My API Application" button not being present. I was unable to find any documentation discussing this, but then decided to sign up for the trial subscription and it worked fine from then on.

This seems wrong as devs surely should not be expected to create and subscribe to a new account if they are woking on multiple apps as I am. Also there is no mention of this being a  feature of a sub, if it were intentional.

Perhaps I am missing something or if not, could someone from Strava please help clarify the rational here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Elliott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

In our documentation you'll find a link to create or manage your app. Until you have created an application, the settings dashboard won't appear in your account. While you do need a separate account(s) for any additional app(s) you create, a subscription is not a requirement for creating an API application. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dblock
Shkhara

FWIW I have 3 apps (a personal one for https://run.dblock.org/, https://slava.playplay.io/ and https://strada.playplay.io/) and I do find this annoying as well. Every sane platform I know lets you create and manage apps without creating multiple accounts. I create multiple with email+appname@... and just live with it. 

Elliott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

In our documentation you'll find a link to create or manage your app. Until you have created an application, the settings dashboard won't appear in your account. While you do need a separate account(s) for any additional app(s) you create, a subscription is not a requirement for creating an API application. 

Am I understanding correctly that if I want to have two versions of one app (development and production), then I have to register another Strava account? With this second account, I can register the second version of the app.

I have a development and production version, both using the same client. The redirect_uri passed to Strava during oauth authentication changes, and that's how I distinguish between the two. Once you have the auth token there's no difference in how you use it, so being on production vs development makes no difference. The only other special case is with webhooks. For that I use a flag in my database to indicate if a user is on production vs development. When the webhook comes in, I redirect it to either the production or development webhook handler depending on the value of that flag.

Using a second account with a separate client and keys is also entirely reasonable and may be easier depending on how your app is set up. It really comes down to how you want to manage things and what works best in your situation.