cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Low Power Mode(s) - Fewer GPS Readings

phirst
Pico de Orizaba

Is the Apple Watch Strava app affected by the new Low Power Modes for Workouts. Does switching on these setting affect a Strava Workout? And if not - can they be integrated?

1. Simple setting - Low Power Mode

2. Advanced setting - Fewer GPS and Heart Rate Readings

CCA15D59-0523-412A-BAFA-0C87C0D5A0CE.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi again @phirst 

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, even if you leave the "fewer GPS and Heart Rate Readings" toggle to "off", turning on low power mode can impact the background app refresh frequency (it refreshes less often) and for best results we don't recommend doing that.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

phirst
Pico de Orizaba

To be clear, simple Low Power Mode on the Apple Watch does not reduce the GPS points written. 
If you then additionally switch on “Fewer GPS and Heart Rate Readings”, then it does. And I assume you are confirming that this setting directly affects a Strava activity / workout?

Details of Apple Watch low power modes here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213336

Hi again @phirst 

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, even if you leave the "fewer GPS and Heart Rate Readings" toggle to "off", turning on low power mode can impact the background app refresh frequency (it refreshes less often) and for best results we don't recommend doing that.

Jane (she/her)

Will Strava still import my workout if I turn my apple watch to low power mode AND enable fewer GPS and heart rate readings?

phirst
Pico de Orizaba

It will, and I confirm it does - no problem. But as the advice above suggests it may not fully work properly - though I don’t think Strava know if this is actually the case or they are just guessing…

in saying that, I’ve recently switched to Apple’s native workout app. This won’t be affected by this at all, will sync fully with Strava anyway, and has many better features and benefits!

Do you see anything missing or disadvantages to running the Apple native app rather than starting an activity with the Strava app? I love how Apple works with low power mode using their app. But Strava is my bread and butter and don't want to miss out on anything by importing to Strava. Thanks! 

I’ve been using the Apple workout app on the Watch for a long time now for cycling, hiking and other things. There is no disadvantage, only advantages. You can see more info, get better notifications (eg which zone you’re in) and can customise it.

Very occasionally it doesn’t sync one automatically, but it’s a quick step in the Strava app on the phone to go to Devices in settings, Health, and you see all the Watch activities. They will be ticked if imported, but if it missed it, click ‘import’.

That's exactly the info I was looking for - thank you!!

phirst
Pico de Orizaba

That’s good to know

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @phirst 

Thanks for writing in about this.  We don't recommend using the low power mode settings when recording Strava activities.  It reduces the frequency of the GPS points written to the recording file,  and as a result reduces tje accuracy and completeness of the recorded data.  

Jane (she/her)

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings