cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coros Pace 2 moving_time Strava vs Coros own software.

michaelvv
Mt. Kenya

I can see that there is a quite some different in the moving_time recorded by Coros Pace 2

software compared to what is uploaded on Strava when Coros Pace 2 is in auto-pause mode.

On my recent trip ca 53.7 Km the difference is  Coros Software App reports - 2.12.04 , Strava 2.14.47... The activity has ID : 7951184272

Why this difference , seems to me that something with the detection on movement is wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi michaelvv,

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava relies on GPS data when recording cycling activities to determine whether or not you are moving.  Erroneous GPS data can cause Strava to think that you are moving when you aren't. 

Assuming GPS data is complete and accurate, it's still expected to see some discrepancies since different platforms and devices use different methods for calculating moving time. 

Strava will use the recorded GPS data when uploading rides to calculate our version of your moving time. During the upload process, whether you recorded with our mobile app or a third-party device, Strava relies on a speed threshold to determine whether or not you are resting. Your device or platform may use a different method than Strava when calculating your stats. For example, consider the process of determining how much resting vs. moving time is in an activity. What constitutes a rest? Is it when you're at rest for 1, 3, 10, or 20 seconds? And what does your speed have to fall below for you to be considered at rest?

I hope this information in helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi michaelvv,

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava relies on GPS data when recording cycling activities to determine whether or not you are moving.  Erroneous GPS data can cause Strava to think that you are moving when you aren't. 

Assuming GPS data is complete and accurate, it's still expected to see some discrepancies since different platforms and devices use different methods for calculating moving time. 

Strava will use the recorded GPS data when uploading rides to calculate our version of your moving time. During the upload process, whether you recorded with our mobile app or a third-party device, Strava relies on a speed threshold to determine whether or not you are resting. Your device or platform may use a different method than Strava when calculating your stats. For example, consider the process of determining how much resting vs. moving time is in an activity. What constitutes a rest? Is it when you're at rest for 1, 3, 10, or 20 seconds? And what does your speed have to fall below for you to be considered at rest?

I hope this information in helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks Jane..

I can see that it depends a lot of different things when rest is detected , and as I'm using your

wonderful API , I think I can work something out myself.

I'll try to analyse the GPS data I got from your api , and see If I can make a better Coros Pace 2 rest detection.

Thanks Michael.