cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the Apple Strava phone app use heart rate from Apple Watch?

Padge
Pico de Orizaba

Would it be possible to use the heart rate sensor from an Apple Watch to sync with a ride recorded on the Strava iPhone app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Padge 

Thanks for posting about this.  The Apple Watch cannot be used as a heart rate sensor for activities recorded on the Strava iPhone App.  In order to upload your Apple Watch recorded heart rate data, you would need to record the activity using your Apple Watch.

You can pair a compatible bluetooth heart rate sensor with your Strava iPhone App if you wish to record with your iPhone.  See more information here on how to do it and what's compatible.  

I hope that's helpful information - please let us know!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Yes, I do that and resubscribed to the otherwise great Strava app. Now it is winter and my arms are covered = no heart rate visible. I just canceled my subscription. Will try runkeeper. 

While this does work, it's a pretty terrible workaround.  I think it is reasonable to ask Strava to have the watch app and the phone app talk to each other the way that other fitness apps do.

davidvonce
Mt. Kenya

Unimpressed with the moderator just cutting and pasting her response too. We understand Strava doesn't currently do this, but will you please fix it? We're loyal users, the data is there, just find a way to port it over please.

Or you may find more of us will turn to another app, which would be sad/stupid/easily avoidable!

ScottLindsey
Shkhara

I think this implementation is somewhat deficient. Take a look at how Ride With GPS does this – you hit start on the phone and immediately the watch app boots up and gives you a running indication of how far you’ve gone and at what speed while also recording your heart rate. This seems like an obvious improvement 

Vuk
Mt. Kenya

From my personal experience, I can confirm that it is possible to use the sensor from the "Apple Watch" to synchronize with a ride recorded on the "Strava" iPhone app. You need to have the "Apple Health" app installed on your phone. When you open the "Apple Health" app, in the upper right corner you have your profile icon. Click on it, go to "Privacy" then "Apps" and finally "Strava". You need to click on the "Turn On All" option. After that the "Strava" app on the "Apple Watch" will display heart rate information in the lower right corner and the recorded data will be displayed in the ride record itself. I hope my advice will be useful to you..

I have tried this numerous times, I have all permissions turned on for Strava in the apple health app and it just doesn’t work.  So frustrating….

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Padge 

Thanks for posting about this.  The Apple Watch cannot be used as a heart rate sensor for activities recorded on the Strava iPhone App.  In order to upload your Apple Watch recorded heart rate data, you would need to record the activity using your Apple Watch.

You can pair a compatible bluetooth heart rate sensor with your Strava iPhone App if you wish to record with your iPhone.  See more information here on how to do it and what's compatible.  

I hope that's helpful information - please let us know!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Just cancelled the subscription, I don’t want to have to use other apps or buy new equipment to do what the iOS built in app will do. I liked the mapping but that can be done with other apps I already use. I wanted Strava to be able to have everything all in one place but that does not seem to be a priority for the company at the moment. 

Any news on this or do I need to go back to RunKeeper?

No, it’s not helpful information. Why don’t you stop copy/pasting the same answer and tell us *why* the Strava iPhone can’t display heart data from the Apple Watch?