cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the Apple Strava phone app use heart rate from Apple Watch?

Padge
Pico de Orizaba

Would it be possible to use the heart rate sensor from an Apple Watch to sync with a ride recorded on the Strava iPhone app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Padge 

Thanks for posting about this.  The Apple Watch cannot be used as a heart rate sensor for activities recorded on the Strava iPhone App.  In order to upload your Apple Watch recorded heart rate data, you would need to record the activity using your Apple Watch.

You can pair a compatible bluetooth heart rate sensor with your Strava iPhone App if you wish to record with your iPhone.  See more information here on how to do it and what's compatible.  

I hope that's helpful information - please let us know!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

dlasko
Mt. Kenya

Seriously? I have heard so many good things about Strava that I just signed up to give it a try. I have been using Runkeeper for years, and it is totally able to use the Apple Watch heart rate sensor when recording activities on the iPhone app (by having the Runkeeper app open on the Apple Watch at the same time). This really needs to be fixed.

Misterbee
Mt. Kenya

Ok, so now that iOS 17 and Watch OS 10 are out, you can start an Apple workout on the watch, and the Apple workout pops up on your phone, showing all kinds of info, *including* heart rate.

Tell me, why I should renew my Strava subscription?

BenchPressBen
Shkhara

Why is it always advised here that there are other ways? Or you can use a heart rate sensor from another manufacturer. But that is not the point. It should be possible to record the tour with the iOS app and use the Apple Watch as a heart rate sensor. I wonder what the problem is here? Is it so difficult to programme?

I am seriously thinking about going back to RunKeeper which has been able to do this for years. 

From RunKeeper app. They can do it 

IMG_0622.png

davidvonce
Mt. Kenya

Kudos, but isn't that using three methods when only one should be necessary?

Yeah, all that three has going for it is that it beats nothing. As long as we keep pounding on this thread 🤣

Jweiss27
Mt. Kenya

I really want Strava to start importing Apple Watch heart live

stevetarver
Mt. Kenya

If your goal is HB info in your Strava saved activity and iPhone display on your bike, you can record your session with your watch as linked by the moderator and record a simultaneous session on your iPhone. At the end of the ride, save the watch session and discard the phone session. Did it this morning, works great, just have to pause in two places - if you pause.

Note: Apple would have to broadcast HB info via bluetooth according to standard for Strava to have a clean implementation like the OP requests.