cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could the Apple Strava phone app use heart rate from Apple Watch?

Padge
Pico de Orizaba

Would it be possible to use the heart rate sensor from an Apple Watch to sync with a ride recorded on the Strava iPhone app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Padge 

Thanks for posting about this.  The Apple Watch cannot be used as a heart rate sensor for activities recorded on the Strava iPhone App.  In order to upload your Apple Watch recorded heart rate data, you would need to record the activity using your Apple Watch.

You can pair a compatible bluetooth heart rate sensor with your Strava iPhone App if you wish to record with your iPhone.  See more information here on how to do it and what's compatible.  

I hope that's helpful information - please let us know!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Just trying out Strava and am really surprised that this functionality still does not exist.  Really no point in paying for the app when I can just continue using the iphone workout app with levels for analysis.  Hope you get this fixed in the future, will be cancelling after the trial.  

I just subscribed but shocked to see i cannot use my apple watch to record my heart rate real time. this is a huge part of my workouts. I hate cheat straps and having to buy additional devices bc an app wont use my highly accurate and comfortable apple watch readings. This feels like an oversight as im sure im not the only one who uses an iphone. i may unsubscribe over this   i hope you guys can add apple watch at some point

why does Garmin work so well when the Apple Watch doesn’t 

That is really unfortunate. The Strava app on the Apple Watch is so scaled back it doesn’t appear to have all the functionality I want to use. For example, following a specific route. So I’ll need to run two sessions, one in the watch and one on the phone and remove the duplicate later. Not a fan of this not being better integrated. 

Can you please provide me an update on when this will be added? I need it for cycling. Thank you.

I agree—this is silly shocking Strava cannot provide this when other apps can.  I just joined and may not continue because of this missing feature that others have.

Please can you change this? ridicilous that I'm paying a ~60 a year for Strava and they can't event get either the Apple Watch HB to work with Strava-recorded activities or the apple watch to talk to the strava phone app.

Both are things other free apps seems to do without issues.

So many people asking for this... can you give some clarity on roadmap and/or why it's so difficult to do? 

Hi Jane - I really like Strava but this is a major frustration. Definitely makes me want to explore other options. Is there any good news on the roadmap? This must be a high-demand request given Apple’s market position…

Hi

Is there a way we can raise a feature request to be able to record HR from an Apple Watch while using an iPhone to us as an in ride dashboard?

I am a paying subscriber but the lack of this feature is making me question if I should continue to pay for a subscription or move over to Ride With GPS which not only has this feature but also has much better mapping functionality for in ride usage with iPhones including turn by turn navigation. 

I’ve been a Strava subscriber for a while now and have a lot of historic data in Strava and I like the analysis. However it feels like Strava only cares about using Garmin devices for in ride data collection, mapping and dashboards. 

please improve the Apple user experience!

I appreciate the response. It’s so frustrating that this is not able to work. I want to see the map and stats on my phone while I’m riding but also want my heart rate data included. It sucks to have to wear an additional device when I already have one that collects the data. 😭