cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horsemanship Stopped Loading as Workout

HPHaven
Mt. Kenya

I have been tracking my equestrian activities for several years on Garmin and started to load them as Workouts to Strava about a year ago.   A few days ago, they stopped loading into Strava even though all my other activities (run, walk, bike) still load automatically.   

I was able to load the file manually from my Garmin watch to Strava but I don't want that hassle!   Has anyone else experienced this?   Did a recent update block horsemanship activities from loading from Garmin to Strava???

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi all , Hi Jane, 
I got this reply from Strava Help Center to my ticket in this topic;

"Jimi (Help Center)

May 16, 2023, 6:45 AM MDT

Hi Joao,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the activity syncing troubles. Garmin recently updated which activity types are synced to Strava.

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export those activities from your device and manually upload them to Strava.

The best option at this time is to export the original from Garmin Connect and upload it to Strava from our upload page. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Jimi
Strava Support Team"

As per my reply to the Strava Support Team, the best option for me it to create an activity which I name "Horse riding", it will have sport = "Generic" in the fit file and synchronizes perfectly with Strava (I tested this already) having all the infos of the activity.

View solution in original post

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

We have heard back from Garmin and as @marsupi96 posted above, this was due to a change in the Garmin API (application programming interface).  

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export activities from Garmin Connect and manually upload them to Strava.

Apologies for any confusion over this.  Let us know if you have additional questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Tannah
Mt. Kenya

Yes I have also found this it’s very annoying .  Having to manually add it is very tiresome .  Is there no horse riding app that downloads with Strava? 

Wizbit33
Mt. Kenya

Really really unhappy about this. Horseback riding is one of my most regular sports. When I ride in the school, my heart rate increases similarly to à run. Its almost like they're not recognising tous as sport. I understand removing motorbikes, but clearly they have not understood the physical demande of this activity. Not happy at all. 😡

JaimeSimson
Mt. Kenya

They removed the sync you have to manually upload it now. It’s such a bummer. I used it weekly to track my rides and distance. I am hoping if enough people make a report they will return it 🤞🏼

TriHorse
Mt. Kenya

One of my regular activity types has stopped syncing from my Garmin Fenix 7s - Horseriding is an extra app I had to download from Connect to my watch to record that activity which has previously worked fine to record then auto sync to Strava but lately it has stopped syncing. All my other standard activities sync to Strava as usual such as Run, Hike. Any clues? 

Hello @TriHorse 

Thanks for posting about this.

This was due to a change in the Garmin API (application programming interface).  

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export activities from Garmin Connect and manually upload them to Strava.

Apologies for any confusion over this.  Let us know if you have additional questions.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

We have heard back from Garmin and as @marsupi96 posted above, this was due to a change in the Garmin API (application programming interface).  

Jane (she/her)

Garmin doesn’t recognize horsemanship as a sport 👎🏻

RickFDA
Mt. Kenya

Same issue for me with "horseback riding" activity recorded with Garmin and not syncing anymore with Strava... Hope it will be fixed soon... thanks!

Rick

JaimeSimson
Mt. Kenya

This happened to me also. I’m hoping someone has a fix here 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings