cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horsemanship Stopped Loading as Workout

HPHaven
Mt. Kenya

I have been tracking my equestrian activities for several years on Garmin and started to load them as Workouts to Strava about a year ago.   A few days ago, they stopped loading into Strava even though all my other activities (run, walk, bike) still load automatically.   

I was able to load the file manually from my Garmin watch to Strava but I don't want that hassle!   Has anyone else experienced this?   Did a recent update block horsemanship activities from loading from Garmin to Strava???

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi all , Hi Jane, 
I got this reply from Strava Help Center to my ticket in this topic;

"Jimi (Help Center)

May 16, 2023, 6:45 AM MDT

Hi Joao,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the activity syncing troubles. Garmin recently updated which activity types are synced to Strava.

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export those activities from your device and manually upload them to Strava.

The best option at this time is to export the original from Garmin Connect and upload it to Strava from our upload page. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Jimi
Strava Support Team"

As per my reply to the Strava Support Team, the best option for me it to create an activity which I name "Horse riding", it will have sport = "Generic" in the fit file and synchronizes perfectly with Strava (I tested this already) having all the infos of the activity.

View solution in original post

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

We have heard back from Garmin and as @marsupi96 posted above, this was due to a change in the Garmin API (application programming interface).  

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export activities from Garmin Connect and manually upload them to Strava.

Apologies for any confusion over this.  Let us know if you have additional questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello to All who have posted about this.

We are aware that certain types of activities have stopped syncing from Garmin to Strava and we have reached out to Garmin about this.  I will post an update here when I have one.  Thanks for your patience.

Jane (she/her)

This is stil aan issue. Can we recieve na update?

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @HPHaven and @NatasjaJones 

Sorry to hear your activities are no longer syncing.  

If you can each please submit a support ticket we'll be happy to look into your accounts and investigate what's going on.

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane, 
Hi Jane,
I noticed the same. Activities recorded on my Garmin with the Garmin "horseback riding" (sport = "horseback_riding" in .fit file) activity are no longer synchronized with Strava. Other activities are synced,  including an activity type I would create myself with name "Aaa" or "Horseriding" which have sport = "Generic" in the fit file. I'll create a distinct ticket as well.

Hi all , Hi Jane, 
I got this reply from Strava Help Center to my ticket in this topic;

"Jimi (Help Center)

May 16, 2023, 6:45 AM MDT

Hi Joao,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the activity syncing troubles. Garmin recently updated which activity types are synced to Strava.

The Garmin Connect developer API program has been aligned to its original health and wellness intent to focus on health, wellness and primary sports (run, walk, bike, etc.) The change to non-primary sports activities such as flying, motorsports, horseback riding, RC drone, etc. means that you will need to export those activities from your device and manually upload them to Strava.

The best option at this time is to export the original from Garmin Connect and upload it to Strava from our upload page. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Jimi
Strava Support Team"

As per my reply to the Strava Support Team, the best option for me it to create an activity which I name "Horse riding", it will have sport = "Generic" in the fit file and synchronizes perfectly with Strava (I tested this already) having all the infos of the activity.

Thanks for the info!

If you can... could you please tell me a bit more about how to bypass this issue? Where do you create the activity "Horse Riding" to allow syncing? Is it something you do just once, in Strava?

Thanks Jane.  I have submitted a ticket however Strava support says it’s been resolved however as of this morning (May 7) it still does not sync horsemanship activities from garmin to workouts in Strava. 

I rode twice today and it didn’t sync anything but my walks 

NatasjaJones
Mt. Kenya

I experienced the same issue. Tried to disconnect Strava from Garmin and reconnected them again, but still the horsmanship workout is not synched to Strava. Other workouts still synch. 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings