cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Elevation Gains Apple Watch

RonHuizenga
Shkhara

Hi All,

I use Strava on my Apple Watch Series 6.  For the past few weeks (since last OS update), elevation gains (outdoor ride) have been way off, reporting at least double what they should be.  Is anyone else experiencing the same?  I removed and reinstalled Strava on my watch and phone, but that hasn't made any difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

Sorry about the confusion.  There's no new release, the fix was applied to the current release.  So if your watch is up to date, the problem should be resolved.  

Give it a try and let us know the results.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

RoWi
Mt. Kenya

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

Broken (again?) with watchOS 9.6 and Strava 319.0.0

However the Strava button „fix elevation“ worked .. would be nice if it just works again 

levymetal
Mt. Kenya

Just wondering if there’s an update on this? I use the Workout app on my Apple Watch to track my activities then I sync them with Strava later. The Workout app shows the correct elevation during the activity, and the Fitness app shows the correct elevation after the workout. However, the elevation in Strava can be off by almost double. Correcting the elevation does work, but it would be nice to avoid having to do this. 

I tried to correct the elevation to reflect the correct numbers, but it did not work . Any help would be great.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All,

Sorry about the confusion.  There's no new release, the fix was applied to the current release.  So if your watch is up to date, the problem should be resolved.  

Give it a try and let us know the results.

Jane (she/her)

Just letting you know that this issue has not been fixed. Surely the fix is simply to not modify the imported data from Apple Watches?

Hi Jane, on 22 Dec 2023 I recorded a ride with Apple Watch Ultra 2 and Garmin Edge 830.

Apple Watch workout recorded 569m altitude gain. Garmin Edge 830 recorded 566m altitude gain.

Both recordings were imported into Strava.

In Strava App the Apple Watch workout showed 694m altitude gain.

In Strava App the Garmin Edge 830 showed 566m altitude gain.

The Apple Watch import shows Strava (incorrectly) increased the altitude gain by 125m.

Also, I am unable to adjust the elevation to fix any incorrect altitude readings for the workouts imported from my Apple Watch, but I am able to adjust the elevation of the correct altitude gain readings from workouts imported from the Garmin Edge.

Yes it seems to work. Data is displayed again as before.

Thanks very much!

So in other words it's a fix on the back end when posting rather than a fix that is downloaded to the code on the watch (and/or the phone the watch is paired to).  A little more detail in the explanation goes a long way.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your patience with this.  A fix has been rolled out in the latest update.  If you haven't done so already, please update your watch and let us know if you continue to have any problems after that.

Jane (she/her)