cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jagged GPS recording with iPhone 13 mini

jdujic
Shkhara

My shiny new iPhone 13 mini has apparent issues with jagged GPS tracks, consistently adding some 2-5% to the total route length. For an illustration, check out the two runs of mine: the first from August recorded with iPhone 8, and the second from October with 13 mini:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7584918073

https://www.strava.com/activities/8025639130

The two tracks are supposed to be identical, and the physical difference should not exceed 20 m. Yet, the first shows up as 5.10 km, and the second as 5.31 km (therefore, making me appear faster than I am 😉). If you zoom in, you can notice the recording **bleep**-zagging, while the track is of course perfectly smooth.

While this is probably not a Strava issue, does anyone have an idea how I can possibly fix this?

As a feature request idea, Strava could probably implement some route smoothing by default for estimating distances. At least for faster activities such as cycling and running, it should smooth out such pesky gremlins.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jdujic

Thanks for getting back to us. Our Support Team would be happy to work with you to investigate this further.

Please submit a support ticket and somebody will be in touch.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Patrickuehner
Shkhara

IMG_8403.png

IMG_8405.png

I have the same Problem!

my old iPhone SE 2 World better than my new iPhone 13 mini. Can you please help me

For the record, I haven't raised a support ticket -- I purchased a Garmin smart watch instead which has outstanding accuracy. Too bad that Apple blew it with those bad GPS units.

it seems that the GPS reset instructions worked for me (tried it one time after the reset).

looks not perfect but way better than before

IMG_8478.jpeg

Hi Patrick, no its not fixed. For biking records look fine, but the forrest running records look still strange. I will try the reset GPS tomorrow, but i already think about to buy a Garmin watch as well 😞

Do you think it's because of the speed? 
I can't understand why the problem can't be fixed 😞

It seems speed has an effect on the recording. But not sure.

Iwan
Mt. Kenya

I have the same problem. Any solution recommended? Or should i open an support ticket as well?

did you fix it already?

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @jdujic 

To troubleshoot this situation, please try turning your phone completely off and then on as well as turning your location services off and then on again. Location services are located in settings > privacy > location services (turn off/on).

Also, sometimes GPS data quality can be improved by simply giving your phone more time to acquire satellites prior to starting your activity.

For more tips on how to improve your GPS quality see our article on Troubleshooting GPS issues for iPhone

If you find that the information above does not resolve the issue, please perform a GPS reset on your device:

GPS reset instructions:

1. Close all open apps on your phone.
2. Then go into settings and turn on airplane mode.
3. Next, go to settings > general > reset and choose reset network settings (you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords!)
4. Once your phone has reset, go to settings > location services. Turn this setting off and then on again.
5. Finally, go to settings > privacy > location services > system services and turn setting time zone OFF.

If you continue to experience the same trouble after performing a GPS reset, please let us know.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team