cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

segments

dancingqueen
Mt. Kenya

Has anyone experienced the Segments not appearing after an activity.

My last 2 runs show 0 segments - routes i have done before.

have tried looking into reasons why - but nothing seems to work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi Dancingqueen,

Thanks for your post!  There's a few reasons segments may not match to your activity.   The most common one is that GPS drift or errors occurred while you were recording your activity.  Our segment matching process relies on the accuracy and completeness of your recorded GPS data, and if there is too much discrepancy between your GPS data and the segment, the match won't occur.  

Map visibility settings on your account and activity can also impact whether or not a segment will match to your activity.   Any segment, regardless of whether it’s a private or public segment that starts/stops within a hidden portion of your activity, will not be matched to your activity.

This article explains in detail the reasons segments may not match.  You can also use our potential segment match analysis tool to help understand why a specific segment did not match to your activity.

If you still need assistance after using the tool, you can submit a support ticket and we’ll be able to check and see if a manual match is possible in this instance.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VikK
Kilimanjaro

I had that once on one of my favourite hill segments, was scratching my head as to why. The solution for me was my random privacy circle, it was overlapping part of the segment. So I re-generated/re-created that to cover a different area and then I was re-appearing on the segment

Vik

Ian
Elbrus

I had a similar issue a while ago where Segments didn't appear on an Activity. I changed the Activity type from Ride to Walk and back to Ride and that fixed the problem (I also had to wait a few minutes for the Segments to appear).

Good luck.

Thanks

where did you make that switch ?
were you in app or website ?

I made the change on the website (Edit the Activity and change the Sport), although the same functionality is available via the app.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi Dancingqueen,

Thanks for your post!  There's a few reasons segments may not match to your activity.   The most common one is that GPS drift or errors occurred while you were recording your activity.  Our segment matching process relies on the accuracy and completeness of your recorded GPS data, and if there is too much discrepancy between your GPS data and the segment, the match won't occur.  

Map visibility settings on your account and activity can also impact whether or not a segment will match to your activity.   Any segment, regardless of whether it’s a private or public segment that starts/stops within a hidden portion of your activity, will not be matched to your activity.

This article explains in detail the reasons segments may not match.  You can also use our potential segment match analysis tool to help understand why a specific segment did not match to your activity.

If you still need assistance after using the tool, you can submit a support ticket and we’ll be able to check and see if a manual match is possible in this instance.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hello, there are also a lot of segments that are not well positioned. Why not do a map matching with the OSM data or allow people to suggest correcting a segment?

I think I've already had more than 10 requests to support to correct segments and I still have many that are not good. A map matching algo for the person proposing a segment or even for you would give you more accurate segments.

For what it's worth, my approach to dealing with poorly created Segments (perhaps because of GPS drift or carelessly positioned start/finish points) is simply to create a "better" version and name it the same as the original with something such as "Safer finish" or "better gps" in parenthesis to explain what I have done (perhaps the creator of the original Segment will see the improved version and delete theirs).  I then hide the original Segment so I will never be bothered by it again.