cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astridsasse
Shkhara

There should be no 'Watts' for anyone who hasn't actually used a powermeter in cycling. 

It is very confusing to have an estimate for power on the activity page but also on individual segments for rides that were completed without a powermeter. The estimates are just wrong as there are so many influences that you cannot calculate for, biggest being head- or tailwind and whether it was a group ride with potentially lots of drafting.

I'm not only saying this because I'm comparing myself to other riders for activities or on segments but also comparing my own pre-powermeter rides to the ones with the powermeter.

Or at least clearly indicate that it's an estimate and not based on actual data.

Thank you.

11 Comments
ChrisBerry
Kilimanjaro

I think it is pretty clear the way it is right now. On activities where the rider used a power meter, it refers to Power. When a power meter was not used it always says Estimated Power. The only place I can see where this is not the case is in the list of segments in the ride overview. On the segment leaderboards there is no power number given unless the rider used a power meter. 

astridsasse
Shkhara

No, it's not clear at all - any activity page shows power, no matter whether it was estimated by Strava or from a PM.

Screenshot_2023-04-30-13-48-38-62_3bb53944894d9646ec5754b62cc2584b.jpg

ChrisBerry
Kilimanjaro

@astridsasse this is one of those cases where the info available on the Strava website is completely different from the app. If you look at the website the Power vs Estimated Power is presented very clearly. Strava needs to get their act together and fix all of the inconsistencies between the app and the website. 

Luko79
Shkhara

i think it should have a color-code, when the power is coming from powermeter, let it be purple, and when estimated, white/transparent as now, on the main page too , and in the details also

Soren
Denali

@astridsasse thanks for this suggestion. As @ChrisBerry pointed out, we do distinguish between real power recorded with a power meter and estimated power. Real power is displayed in the Activity Analysis page and is represented with purple lines, whereas estimated power appears in black. On the website's Segment Leaderboards, power is displayed with a lightning bolt like this: Soren_0-1683147027898.png

Whereas estimated power has no icon, and a "-" is shown if there's no estimated power at all. Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 2.52.34 PM.png

May I ask you to clarify what exactly you're suggesting here, what those changes look like and where they should be applied? The eradication of estimated power altogether? For the activity detail page on the mobile app to indicate whether an effort was performed using real power or estimated power? Something else?

For more information, see this support article.

Luko79
Shkhara

yeah, we know it but lots of people are checking only the main page in the app, or the summary page. i think You should write an "Est." prefix here and it would be helpful for the app users.

IMG_20230503_230611.jpg

astridsasse
Shkhara

Yes, exactly as Luko79 point out and as indicated in my previous comment above. 

On the app, on the activity page - make it clear whether it's an estimated power or not. I don't really mind how you do it, writing an 'Est.' in front of 'Avg Power' or having a little lightning signal for PM-users.

Luko79
Shkhara

in very rare cases (indoor cycling without elevation data) there is power data on the main page too (next to the distance and time), so pls do it on both places: i made an example, i think if there is no real power data then must be "Est. Avg Power" in both places and if there is real power from powermeters or smart trainers then must be the "lightning icon" after the power value, and it would be identical as on the webpage and the people dont get confused.

IMG_20230504_075214.jpgIMG_20230504_075441.jpg

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Soren
Denali

Thanks for the further clarification. I'm going to rename the title of this idea to more accurately reflect the suggestion. Your idea is now open to voting.

patrickjhill
Mt. Kenya

I went on a fast group ride without a power meter.  Understandably Strava is estimating the power much too high due to the strong draft.  I don't really care, except I like to follow the "Fitness and Freshness" estimated by Strava.  Strava thinks I had a much bigger gain in fitness than in reality.  How do I manually adjust the relative effort for this ride downward?  Thanks!

KevinUptain
Shkhara

I’ve been asking for this for years. If you want to keep estimated watts, put it in the analysis or something, not on the main activity page. Also, clearly mark it as the estimate