cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpine (downhill skiing)

JaniceB
Shkhara

There’s an icon for Alpine skiing, but it doesn’t work.  Uphill distance in the chairlift is included (!!) so speed is completely skewed.  Also, non-sensical segments, perhaps from summer hiking or mountain biking (?) are included in stats.  The alpine skiing icon should be removed from the list of sports that Strava “supports” until this is fixed!  The stats make absolutely no sense for downhill skiing and they are extremely misleading until you use another app to see your real stats and then figure out what the problem is with Strava.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @JaniceB 

Sorry you had difficulty submitting a Support Request.  If you haven't been able to yet, please send us an email at:  support@strava.zendesk.com.  Thank you.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

godardabel
Mt. Kenya

I agree Strava should NOT count uphill lifts for alpine skiing or downhill mountain biking in the vertical feet gained as this totally skews the statistics and annual accomplishments.  For this reason I won't be posting Alpine ski activities to Strava.  And Strava could easily include an option on all activity types to "exclude vert" if they can't program lift exclusion (which they easily could).

Weerchris
Mt. Kenya

Not solved yet I guess? I've also been using Slopes to get the right stats and as skiing is my nr.1 sport it keeps me from buying a Strava subscription. They could build such a fantastic winter sports tracker integrating with Fatmap but it seems like nothing is changing. I hope development is going on in the background.

SteveH
Mt. Kenya

Hi, I have exactly the same problem from a January ski trip - Alpine ski has recorded the lifts and so the overall distance is almost twice the downhill ski distance. I was wondering if I used the wrong 'sport' (nowhere does it explain what the difference between 'Alpine ski' 'Nordic ski' and 'Back country ski' on Strava is. Please can someone advise what is going wrong and how we fix it otherwise the ski sport on Strava is useless.

The only way I’ve found to solve it is with another app.  I use Slopes, and then I add a manual Alpine Ski activity in Strava.  Strava allows 3 stats to be entered: time, distance, and speed, so include a screen shot of my activity from Slopes.

I really don’t understand why Strava hasn’t removed the alpine ski activity as it really is useless and from what I’ve been reading on this post, the stats are a problem for the mountain bikers.

Soren
Denali

Hi @JaniceB thanks for your post. We would like to take a closer look into the issues you're experiencing with the Alpine Ski sport type, but would need a link to an activity. Please submit a support ticket including a link or multiple links to Alpine Ski activities of yours and we’ll be happy to investigate further. Thank you!

The links send me to further “help” info.  There is nowhere to submit a request.  I’m on my iPhone.

Hello @JaniceB 

Sorry you had difficulty submitting a Support Request.  If you haven't been able to yet, please send us an email at:  support@strava.zendesk.com.  Thank you.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team