cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug report - Apple Watch Ultra?

stefanocordella
Mt. Kenya

Last January I shifted from Apple Watch 6 to Apple Watch Ultra. At the same time, I shifted from using Nike Run Club to Strava to monitor my runs. As well, I started running much more regularly on a treadmill than outdoor. After this, the VO2 max recorded by Apple Health has been tremendously going down over the last two months, despite the fact that I increased my volume of running by roughly 30%. I checked with Apple Support but they could not give me a definitive answer. I'm wondering whether this is due to lack of syncing between Apple Watch Ultra and Strava. Anybody has been experiencing the same? Can anybody advise? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @stefanocordella 

Thanks for posting about this.  As you're aware, we don't calculate or display VO2 Max on Strava, so directing questions regarding the VO2 Max displayed in Apple Health to Apple Support would definitely be what we would recommend.

I understand you did contact them but didn't get a definitive answer. I checked Apple Support pages for any information, and I notice an Apple Support article that says that VO2Max is estimated using your heart rate data from outdoor walks, runs and hiking activities.  Check out the article here.  

You mention that you've increased your treadmill runs and decreased outdoor running, and based on that Support article, I suspect that may be why you see your VO2 Max declining in Apple Health.   I recommend going back to Apple Support and asking for confirmation on whether or not runs on treadmills count towards their VO2Max metric.

I hope that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @stefanocordella 

Thanks for posting about this.  As you're aware, we don't calculate or display VO2 Max on Strava, so directing questions regarding the VO2 Max displayed in Apple Health to Apple Support would definitely be what we would recommend.

I understand you did contact them but didn't get a definitive answer. I checked Apple Support pages for any information, and I notice an Apple Support article that says that VO2Max is estimated using your heart rate data from outdoor walks, runs and hiking activities.  Check out the article here.  

You mention that you've increased your treadmill runs and decreased outdoor running, and based on that Support article, I suspect that may be why you see your VO2 Max declining in Apple Health.   I recommend going back to Apple Support and asking for confirmation on whether or not runs on treadmills count towards their VO2Max metric.

I hope that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team