cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous Challenge Leaderboards

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

Could 

I also flag up a (possible) issue with the challenge leaderboards?

Some of the challenges seem to have implausible achievements that do not tally with profile data. For example, in the February run climb challenge there are several athletes with tens of thousands of metres of climbing at the top of the leaderboard. These figures don't correlate at all with the activities recorded in open profiles and I thought I would flag it up.

8 REPLIES 8

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

It is April 1st today and the April run climb leaderboard says someone climbed 58,800m today… 😳

Noradavis
Mt. Kenya

Some of the challenges seem to have implausible achievements that do not tally with profile data. For example, in the February run climb ...The Challenges leaderboard is our in-app “scoreboard” that tracks the names and points of Challenge participants. To browse the   clickercounter.org     Challenge leaderboard: Tap ...Add members to a group or team at work. Let people choose their own practices OR choose what practices the group will track together (as admin).  Is there somewhere I can see Leaderboards for challenges? Right now in the DPS Threat challenge I have 82 and am around #5000 ...You can read more about segmented leaderboards here. Challenge Leaderboard. Keep track of all the teams within the challenge.

Silentvoyager
Kilimanjaro

> If you are noticing invalid activities appearing on Challenge or segment leaderboards, please use the activity flag tool. Flagging an activity will remove it from leaderboards.

Flagging an activity isn't possible most of the time because the offending users on top of challenge leaderboards often have private accounts.

For example, looking at March 2023 Running Climbing challenge, the top person has 64,444 meters of vertical gain in just nine days. That is nearly an Everest mountain elevation every day. Of course, that isn't humanly possible. Of course, the account is private.

> We do have a system in place to catch and block invalid efforts on Segment and Challenge leaderboards

That doesn't seem to be the case in vertical challenges. For example, the second place in the March 2023 Running Climbing challenge is a person who got 142,493 ft of vertical gain in one short 3 mile run on a beach. Most people don't get even near that number in a year of running. Looking at the run details, the elevation gain comes from a large number of nearly instant elevation changes where the elevation goes up and down by 1640 ft. I guess that was a result of water or sweat going into the barometer sensor. That is somewhat common.

Erroneous elevation changes like that should be easy to detect. The world record in vertical K is just under 30 minutes for a vertical km. Anything more than 2km of vertical gain per hour should probably be suspicious. Then Strava could do automatic elevation correction and compare that to the recorded elevation gain. If the numbers are substantially different then Strava could just apply the elevation correction and the problem would be solved. Or perhaps Strava could look through the stream of elevation changes and detect impossible large instant changes in elevation and, again, apply the elevation correction to fix the issue.

anchskier
Denali

@Jane - A big problem with that is that many of the offenders have their profiles private so nobody can see the activities to be able to flag them.  For challenges that are based on total stats, such as the climbing and total distance challenges, you can't link directly to a single activity to flag.  You can only link to the profile, and if the profile is private, there is no way to verify of their activities are legitimate or to flag any activities.  For these, we really just have to rely on the automatic strava filters to auto-flag bad activities, but as we all know, that function is terrible and misses a vast majority of the bad activities.  I am still seeing people post "runs" of hundreds of miles/hour in the running challenge leaderboards yet they don't get auto-flagged.  If Strava could improve their filtering, it would save a lot of hassle of other users and the strava support staff since there would be fewer support requests.

Please could I say that "offenders" indicates some intent or (at least) gross negligence. There are (as described below) open accounts that show no evidence of a record of climbing everest every day (due to deliberately faked activities or a device malfunction).

There's a thread elsewhere on the community talking about faked activities (gpx uploaded to win prizes) but the activity I can see suggests that (in some cases at least) the profile data looks completely legit but the run climb achievement bears no resemblance.

Declaration of Interest: I have no skin in the game of the top of leaderboards; for me it is for admiration of real achievements of my friends and others in the Strava community that I will never meet.

Hello @anchskier 

Thanks for your reply and the feedback.  We do have a system in place to catch and block invalid efforts on Segment and Challenge leaderboards, however it doesn't catch everything.  If you notice invalid efforts and you're not able to flag the activity(s), the best thing to do is to to  submit a support ticket and include the link to the Athlete's profile page.  Or, if there seem to be many invalid efforts at the top of a Challenge leaderboard, send us the link to the Challenge in question.  We'll be happy to take a look and investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @mercerkg 

Thanks for posting about this.  If you are noticing invalid activities appearing on Challenge or segment leaderboards, please use the activity flag tool. Flagging an activity will remove it from leaderboards.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

mercerkg
Pico de Orizaba

Thank you for replying.

I don't think this is a solution for the leaderboard problem. I don't have access to everyone's activity to flag an activity and (to be honest) have no interest in policing any errors or fraud.

However, there's an athlete on the run climbing challenge for march who is flagged as climbing in excess of 40000 metres but their open profile indicates consistent running in the less than 1000m climb per week and no recent week has a mysterious achievement of 35000m+ to account for this.

I'm not identifying them because:
1- It's not about an individual
2- Strava profile looks like it gives a different result to the leaderboard
3- It's easy to find an example on the leaderboard if you're inclined

It looks like (?!) the leaderboard has pulled data across erroneously (unless there's a hidden activity with 35000m of climbing (but I'd be putting this on my feed if I did it or correct the elevation if I didn't!)).

I'm not, personally, invested in the top of the leaderboard but it would be nice if the person who really climbed the most in March knew this and wasn't gazzumped by a data error.