cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaps in Heatmap

fulmar2
Shkhara

I'm curious to know if this is a known issue, or if there is a resolution to an issue I have observed.  In the heat map, I often see large "gaps" in sections that have been ridden.  It would be useful if the sections were contiguous.  In fact, for some longer tours (such as a cross country tour), the heat map line almost entirely disappears when I zoom out.  I have uploaded two examples of this occurring:

See the Orange lines do not connect?  As you zoom out, they even disappear entirely from the map.See the Orange lines do not connect? As you zoom out, they even disappear entirely from the map.This is what I mean by "gaps" in the heat map aka segmented heatmap.This is what I mean by "gaps" in the heat map aka segmented heatmap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi again @fulmar2 

Sorry there was a problem with that page.  You can email us at support@strava.zendesk.com to create a support ticket.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

dret
Mt. Kenya

This still is as bad and unresolved as originally reported. Can we expect heatmaps to work a little but more useful in the near future? They really become almost useless once you zoom out a little bit.

Dżonny
Mt. Kenya

I got the same problem. Seems that scaling algorithm of strava is erroneus:
The gaps observed derive from the stops made on the route. If I make a trip of, say 60km without a single stop, then it is shown without any problem and independently on the zoom. Then, if I make a stop, and, checking the heatmap later-on, I zoom in as much as posssible - it is shown as a very small gap. Then, zooming out, this gap should become smaller, effectively disappearing when zooming out. But it works differently - strava wants to always show this break, therefore, it gets relatively bigger when zooming out. 

So, heatmaps for hiking routes are almost useless, as there are many stops on the way. When I zoom out enough to  see the whole mountain range, the route just disappears, or there are just some dots left.

It is far better with bike rides (one stop each 40-50km, not each 4 or less kilometers, as in mountain hikes), but when I zoom out to see like 1500km on one screen, many things also disappear or convert into dotted lines.

Jstuff
Mt. Kenya

For me and biking, it's when I get off to walk my bike that I'm not going fast enough for it to record. Usually that's maybe for a block and when I zoom in that's all I see, but when I zoom out the gaps get bigger.

I have done ragbrai (the bike ride across Iowa) several years and it just looks like dots along Iowa when I zoom out.

Screenshot_20221014_155811.jpg

Screenshot_20221014_160812.jpg

Hey, are you calling me slow 😉 ??  

actually, you might be on to something… maybe for slower activities, it shows the heat map as gaps. We do a lot of slower stuff (off-road, traversing mud or snow). Perhaps that is the cause. If that is the case, perhaps  @Jane could put in a feature request to lower the minimum speed requirement for inclusion in the heat map. Mountain bike riders can often find themselves going 3mph uphill or even slower if there is mud, 30% grades, or snow. Thanks for your input. 

I think it could be any time you stop, it creates a gap, no matter how small, then the heat map has the need to make sure you see the gap there, and makes it visible even when you zoom out, hence the gap getting bigger.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

@fulmar2 

That's interesting,  I'm not sure what could be causing that but we could access your account and take a look.

Please submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Jane (she/her)

Thanks Jane. That page you linked says to click "Submit a Request" at the bottom of the page... however, that option does not exist.  I'd be happy if you could look at my account, however.  For some reason, I figured this "bug" applied to everyone... not just me...

Hi again @fulmar2 

Sorry there was a problem with that page.  You can email us at support@strava.zendesk.com to create a support ticket.  

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi fulmar2,

Thanks for posting about this.  Can you clarify if that first screenshot is zoomed in as much as possible?  I'm curious if those gaps disappear when you're completely zoomed in.

Jane (she/her)