cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give user option to show Elapsed Time (not Race)

JS
Shkhara

I know this is a frequently requested feature from many users. Not sure why Strava hasn't rolled this out as a option under Preferences |  ☑️ Show Elapsed Time in All Activity

I regularly post photos with workout stats on Facebook and the exhausting steps I take to getting the Elapsed Time stats onto the images: Edit Activity | change Type of Activity from None to Race | Save | share Photos to my Gmail and repeat. Once I'm done, return to Edit Activity | change Type of Activity from Race to None | Save.

I prefer to show the total time it has taken me to complete my Trail Run, Ride or Swim.

strava9095941637778882196.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

MarkHebberd
Mt. Kenya

How can we make progress on this? it confuses me why Strava insists on displaying my long runs with times under (faster) than the the route CR unless I lie and say that it was a 'race' event.  I don't like either option as it confuses my friends! 'Moving Time' is utterly random as GPS is terrible in certain terrains. I'm often listed as stopped in error which reduces the 'Moving Time' by huge chunks.

Like many runners, I only care about my 'Elapsed Time'. Its relevant to me that it took x hours to complete a trail/route. 'Moving Time' is confusing as I don't know the Strava algorithm which computes if I'm moving/stopped OR satellite availability allowing for GPS accuracy. There are too many variables. Let me have a option (preferably the default option) which removes these variables please.

All Strava needs to do is duplicate the code for Race activity, remove the 'Race' text overlay, rename it to Elapsed Time and add to Type of Activity menu, to put things simply. On a separate but related matter, I've started noticing around the beginning of 2023 or late 2022, that a high level of JPEG compression is applied to all uploaded images. As a result the shared images with Strava stats end up low quality even before they're posted on Facebook which compresses the images further.

JeffMontgomery
Mt. Kenya

I totally agree that the option for showing elapsed time on all activities would be useful. Or just show it without an option to control it, either on the summary or the more detailed page. Personally I use the website most vs. the mobile app.

Recently I've been working with old photos (not taken using phone) and trying to find out exactly where they are on the track. You can do this using the photo time, the Strava map and the elapsed time, but for runs and rides you have to temporarily change it to type=race, which is a pain.

Maybenaught
Pico de Orizaba

I'm not sure about you but there's always a huge discrepancy between time and elapsed time for me when there's elevation involved. Hiking mountains will be hours of difference because I'm moving too slowly forward (because I'm going up) for pace to be picked up.

Same here... I need to show ELAPSED time for my hikes.

Just hiked Kilimanjaro, and summit night was in a REALLY slow pace, stopping and taking many deep breaths. The ascend and decend took 11 hours 10 minutes in total, but Strava shows 6 hours some... I have changed all 8 days hike to run > race to show the elapsed time instead of moving time. But it interfers with my stats, but people who follow my activities (especially my Kili trip) should know the correct elapsed time for the hike.

Since the data is already there, it would be easy to add the option to show either elapsed or moving time to ALL activitites. 

The left screenshot from Garmin by default shows elapsed time while on the right is Strava showing the same but only when activity set to "Race". I don't see the point of showing 2:29:39 Moving Time when it took 3:15:20 to complete the activity.

Screenshot_20220805-202658.jpg

VikK
Kilimanjaro

I never really paid attention to that, I guess it depends what you do. Most of my runs are close..ie maybe a seconds lost waiting to cross roads but when I check my 3hour 18 min run, the moving time is 3 hour 15. I made a phone call in the middle, stopped to take pics, got stuck behind tourists etc so would've expected a bigger difference but it's a good point, it should be our choice.

Vik

Maybenaught
Pico de Orizaba

Agreed! Mine is the same.