cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group activity peer activity title missing on android

usr
Pico de Orizaba

In the aftermath of a group activity with people not on my feed I enjoy seeing that little title text they have set, if they did not just keep the default. That's often an indication of which activities to take a closer look at (pictures!), and the primary outlet of user creativity in Strava. Also, seeing those titles is a good indication of which peers to eventually follow because they put in effort to make their feed entertaining.

This feature exists in the browser implementation, so it can't be a privacy consideration. But it's missing in the android app (and I imagine that it used to exist in an older version of the app). Currently the layout of the "manage group" dialog pullup reserves a line of screen space fo the location set in the profile (often empty), but that's not half as interesting as the title text.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying this. This sounds like an idea to share to our Ideas Board so that others can also vote on your idea. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Thank you for your contribution, we value your input.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

usr
Pico de Orizaba

You see the title and the subheading (if set) in the grouped activity block in the feed, that's fine. But only those of people who happen to be in your feed, also perfectly fine and as expected.

But my usage patterns lead to plenty group activities where a large fraction of participants is not on my feed, and will never be. Let's call them "feed candidates" for now, because that's what they essentially are in that situation. In the browser, if I click on the "grey heads" symbol to see the names of participants I also see the activity titles they have set, in the app, that button is called "manage group" (or something like that, my phone UI is set to german) and the list we see lists only the profile names (and location, as subheading), not the activity title. Seeing the activity title would require clicking the list item, and that's quite uninviting because you can only guess which ones contain interesting "activity title literature" an which ones are only the default "morning ride". With the title (as in the browser version), "manage group" is a way of seeing not only the activity titles of feed members but also those of "feed candidates", and those are the most interesting ones.

Memory tells me that activity title was included in an earlier version of the app, it could simply take the place of the user profile location string (which is often empty or wrong anyways, the least interesting tidbit to show)

(off topic, regarding my guesswork about the "manage group" button: another thing that unfortunately got lost at some point was the ability to override localization settings: I used to be able to set Strava to english despite browser and phone detaults to my home language, unfortunately that option is gone. It's a bit like watching a foreign movie in a badly dubbed version vs watching with the original audio)

usr
Pico de Orizaba

Another major use case I forgot about while writing: group activities of people you follow, to quickly see the activity titles their ride peers might have entered.

Scenario: I follow Andy, Andy rode with Bert and wirth Claudia. I don't follow Bert and Claudia, and Andy was too busy procuring post-ride beverages to manually set a title. I see Andy's activity in my feed and wonder what event it might have been, therefore I click at the "show group" button and there I see Bert and Claudia. On the web I'd immediately see the clever titles Berrt and Claudia have entered while waiting for Andy to get drinks, but on Android that's missing.

Hello,

Thanks for clarifying this. This sounds like an idea to share to our Ideas Board so that others can also vote on your idea. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Thank you for your contribution, we value your input.

Jane (she/her)

usr
Pico de Orizaba

(off topic, completely meta about this board:)

Yeah, it eventually occurred to me that "Help and Ideas / Ideas" might be more fitting than "Help and Ideas / Feature chat", but i did not discover an option to move. And discoverability in this board is a little challenging in general, because it's all focused on routine use (main content of the "Help and Ideas" view is latest activity, not a list of sub-boards - an understandable compromise, but it would work much better if the actual list of sub-boards would be on the left margin, not on the right margin, because "left-hand navigation" is just how user exceptions work on the web, at least in all l-t-r languages)

And "Ideas" would have felt like a bit of a mismatch anyways, because the feature's existence on the web (and in the app's past?) make this "idea" an example of the numerous and boring "UI platform inconsistency" subset which I'm sure you must be getting a lot (and aren't really what I'd call an "idea?"). And which I btw urge you to not prioritize too high, because allowing platfom teams to innovate on ther own (as they apparently do on Strava) is so much better than stifling everything through enforced consistency. Just keep tabs of stuff that should one day be ported...

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @usr 

Thanks for posting about this!  Can you clarify, are you referring to the activity title itself?  I'm looking at a grouped activity on the Android App right now, and I'm seeing both activity titles appearing, so I may not be understanding you correctly.  Thank you.

Jane (she/her)

usr
Pico de Orizaba

I think you see titles of the grouped activities in your feed (those who you follow).

But if I go to the details of an activity and click on the "View Group" button right of the participants count (between "View Analysis" and the recording device) i see profile pic, name, membership status, the profile location and a follow button on the recycler line that links to that person's activity details, but the activity title is missing.

It's racing season again and those of my peers who participate will often skip authoring a title after the auto-upload, other priorities. On the web a quick glance at the "other athletes" list will show me titles from participants i don't follow and some of them will tell me what event it was. The android client makes that a chore, hunting through random strangers' activity details to maybe find one that isn't still "morning ride"