cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable "New Post" Notification

Matthieu-W
Mt. Kenya

Hi everyone, recently I started receiving notifications for any post that might appear on any of the clubs I'm member of. This is super annoying as I now get many redundant notifications daily. I don't remember having this in the past, it feels like it started a few weeks ago.

Is there any way to disable these kind of notifications?

MatthieuW_0-1683879169696.png

38 REPLIES 38

I’m also getting the notifications when someone posts in a team or club and it’s very annoying. Something changed recently, please escalate to Strava team to reverse back the change. 

vibhoraggarwal
Mt. Kenya

Dear Strava team,

Please stop ruining the strava experience with things like this. Otherwise, strava would be just another application (Personally, I don't want this).

Feedback: If I want hundreds of unnecessary notifications I would join facebook/instagram.

SteveWayne
Shkhara

Agree with all above, it's super annoying.  And, to address Strava's reply above, turn off the notifications on your end for all of us until you create the opt-out! Don't make us suffer (or leave groups) in the meantime.  

Yes the onus should not be on us to “accept it” when Strava could turn it off until they have a worthwhile feature. 

Sunny415
Strava
Strava

Thanks for raising this, @Matthieu-W

We are working to improve the Clubs on Strava experience, and are currently experimenting with different ways to notify club members when there are new posts and engagement opportunities in their communities. We also recognize the need for athletes to control these notifications and are working on additional controls to manage them for each club. Thanks for your patience while we develop these controls, we hope to have them released soon.

Please note that there are generally three types of notifications that athletes can receive through Strava:

• Push notifications, which will be received on mobile devices while the Strava app is not currently on the device when enabled
  • Email notifications, which will be received in athletes' email inboxes when enabled
  • Pull notifications, which are found in the app under the bell icon, as shown in your image here; all athletes receive these notifications and they currently cannot be disabled

For now, you can adjust your global Club Posts email notifications on web here, or your global push notifications on mobile through the gear icon on the top right of most screens, then select the push notifications option and find the setting related to club posts, in this case, to disable them. As mentioned, we are working on controls for these notifications for individual clubs, so athletes can keep their global settings active and choose which clubs should send them notifications.

There isn't a way to currently control in-app, pull notifications, globally or for individual clubs, at this time. Though, leaving a club will stop notifications from that club. You can read more information about Strava notifications here. For anyone that's interested, we recommend creating a new idea post here suggesting improvements the Strava community would like to see related to these notifications. I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks in advance!

Sunny
STRAVA | Support Team

First of all, thanks for your efforts on improving the Club experience. I see the app is growing with new features and changes!

In general, not all change is bad, but people like best what they are used to. That's why you should always give the user (the feeling of) control. And the ability to decide which new features to include or use and which not to. This is a basic in app development. You should be able to either ignore or not use the new feature, or adjust the settings of more invasive features to your personal preferences. This gives control.

Specifically for this issue, notifications that can not be controlled, are spam. And we all know how bad that is. Because you invade a personal space. This causes friction because there is no control. Therefore, this needs to be fixed.

Last, I suggest that you, @Sunny415 bring this issue to your team yourself. Because you already recognized this issue as a member of the Support Team, there is no need for you to ask for us to report it again. As this is not a cool new idea, but a problem with functionality. 

Thanks!
Dennis

I hear you Dennis, thanks for sharing your thoughts and please trust that I'm regularly raising this feedback with the team. For clarification, this post is not in the new ideas board, it's in a conversational post, and since there are no existing controls for pull notifications of any kind, this would be a new idea. And because this post is not on the new ideas board, others may not be coming to this post to vote on it. Having the community here in the hub be able to vote and comment on new ideas does help us prioritize what we develop (you can see what we have developed based on suggestions from the ideas board here!). In the meanwhile, please know that our team is aware of the limitation and is exploring options. 

Sunny
STRAVA | Support Team

So I went in to all of my clubs and turned off notifications. "Do not notify me of any posts" and yet I am still getting notifications every time someone posts in a club. 

@Trevatron5000 I suspect that you are seeing pull notifications, which are shown in the app or on Strava.com under the bell icon. There are no controls for pull notifications of any kind, presently. The only way to disable pull notifications for a given club is to leave the club. 

For clarification, the club-level notification controls impact push notifications at this time, which are notifications sent on your mobile device while the app is not open. We are looking into ways that pull notifications could be controlled, however, we do not have any timeframes to share when they will be available. 

Sunny
STRAVA | Support Team

@Sunny415 - Strava added the "feature" that resulted in all of these notifications not too long ago.  How about turning that off until you can figure out a way to better control it rather than continuing to piss off your customers with unwanted posts and notifications in the meantime?  You make it sound like something you can't fix, but you actually can very easily.  Go back to the way it was for over a decade until you have a working system that users can have sufficient control over.