cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Segment Creators Visible (Feature)

elliott_holt
Mt. Kenya

Don't you think it would be cool to see who actually created each segment (and to have that person's name displayed on the segment detail page). Strava is about the social connection among users, and this feature would increase that social aspect.

A reason to have this feature is that if there is an issue where a segment on a trail/road no longer matches the exact trail/road section due to modification of that trail/road over the years. It would be a lot better if that existing segment could be deleted and then re-made with the updated trail/road. This would allow people to know who the segment creator is and contact them to delete the current segment so an updated one can be created to match the updated trail/road. I do not like the idea of creating a new segment as is (with the old segment still in place), as this would be confusing and not look very good on the map.

Another reason to have this feature is if the original segment creator can't be bothered or is no longer active on Strava. There are an awful lot of segments that ought to be deleted for various reasons, perhaps a lot of these should be relegated to "private segments". Also, there clearly needs to be human input as to which segments are out of date or unsafe, or just daft. One user suggested to propose some sort of voting system where certain segments are promoted to become "community segments" and these would then be maintained by all local riders rather than some anonymous creator. There are far too many poorly created segments out there, they are either unsafe or of dubious competitive value. They slow down Strava servers and are essentially spam segments.

My last reason why I think it would be great to show the name of the segment creator is to potentially be able to promote a certain real-life club, group, or individual trail/road. Maybe it would be cool to even have a page where it shows a map with all the public segments that a user created. This could allow people to discover new trails/roads that they never thought existed.

I'm sure there are many other reasons why this feature would be great to have as well. Please share your thoughts!

3 REPLIES 3

Ola_C
Mt. Kenya

In the old Strava community the request to be able to contact the segment creator was for a long time the most upvoted suggestion. It would solve soooo many problems with duplicates, incorrect, corrupt or out of date obsolete segments. While Strava is responding to everything else like adding grocery shopping to activities etc they have as far as I know constantly ignored this very valid request. No one knows why.  Should be super simple to implement.

JustMtnB44
Mt. Kenya

I agree, I think something along these lines is needed. I wrote the below response to the other similar thread and will post it here as well.

I am one of the trail stewards for a local park and sometimes trail sections are closed or rerouted. Sometimes people make new trails by riding down a hillside and then create a segment for it. We go in and remove the trails, but the segment still exists with no way to remove it. This draws unnecessary attention to the old route and can cause extra work for us if people attempt to re-open it. At the very least there should be a feature to archive old segments that are no longer relevant due to trail changes. This could be done either by contacting the creator, or with a voting system (some min number of votes to archive). I would also be in favor of local admins, but at least for mountain biking they should be people involved with the trails somehow.

anchskier
Denali

I made a very similar post earlier today.  Lots of good reasons to know who the creator is and have a way to reach out to them, even if it is through a proxy to maintain their privacy.