cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos no longer display on map—possible to adjust settings?

chialynn
Mt. Kenya

I've noticed that the photos I upload to Strava no longer display on the maps of my activities. I believe this may be related to the privacy controls described in this help article (https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025920332-Strava-s-Privacy-Controls-FAQ).

However, the article doesn't describe how "near" to a hidden portion of the activity photos must be to be hidden, and the behavior doesn't seem consistent. For example, I have activities from earlier this year with photos taken within a few blocks of a hidden portion that are displayed, and more recent activities with photos taken several miles from the hidden portion that aren't displayed.

The images on the map are one of my favorite features—it gives me a very quick, easy way to "relive" certain portions of a run. While I understand and appreciate the privacy issues, would it at least be possible to adjust the settings on my end, so that I could control what images I see on the map?

Thanks for considering this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi chialynn,

Thanks for your post regarding photos.  You're correct that geotagged photos will only be displayed on an activity map if they are not located on, or nearby a hidden portion of the activity.  You mentioned some of your photos did not display on the map even though they were several miles away from your map's hidden area.  That is definitely far enough away from the hidden map area that your photos should display.  

It sounds like you are likely being impacted by an open issue on Strava, where some geotagged activities are not displaying on maps when uploaded via the web or IOS App.  Our Engineering Team is investigating this, and we hope to have a fix rolled out soon.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello All,

Geotagged photos is a web only feature, meaning that photos will only appear on the activity map when you're viewing it through the web browser.

There is still a open issue where some geotagged activities are not displaying on maps when uploaded via the web or IOS App.  This has been escalated to our Engineering Team and we ask for your patience while they look into this.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi All!

This issue has been fixed and photos you upload using the IOS App should now appear on your activity map.  However keep in mind that photos on the map is a web only feature - so you won't see the photos if you look at your activity on the Strava Mobile App.  You'll need to sign onto the web at strava.com in order to view them on the map.

Jane (she/her)

gavinspomer
Mt. Kenya

Hello,

I see some of my Strava friend's activities that have tiny thumbnails on the activity's map to show the location of the photos they took during the activity. I can't get this feature to work on the iPhone Strava app despite all the things I've tried. I've Googled for hours and haven't pulled up anything that clearly states how to make this work. I've gleaned a few useful tidbits such as the images need to be uploaded using the mobile app (iPhone or Android, NOT desktop / web) and photo files need to be geo-tagged. I've verified that my photos have been geo-tagged:

IMG_6963.PNG

My iPhone Strava app's settings: 

IMG_6961.PNG

My friend (who has the feature working) has a setting I don't have to access All Photos from the Photos app and I'm wondering if this is the one setting that makes it happen:

306114084_1020653748616170_1401248481873386364_n.jpeg

Does anyone have authoritative info on how to make this feature work? 

- Gavin 

Hi gavinspomer,

Thanks for your post!  It sounds like you are likely being impacted by an open issue on Strava, where some geotagged activities are not displaying on maps when uploaded via the web or IOS App.  Our Engineering Team is investigating this, and we hope to have a fix rolled out soon.  

We have an existing discussion on this topic going on here.  Thanks for your patience.

Jane (she/her)

chialynn
Mt. Kenya

Ah, thank you! I am using the iOS app to upload pics, so that sounds like it may indeed be the problem. I will wait patiently for a fix. 🙂

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi chialynn,

Thanks for your post regarding photos.  You're correct that geotagged photos will only be displayed on an activity map if they are not located on, or nearby a hidden portion of the activity.  You mentioned some of your photos did not display on the map even though they were several miles away from your map's hidden area.  That is definitely far enough away from the hidden map area that your photos should display.  

It sounds like you are likely being impacted by an open issue on Strava, where some geotagged activities are not displaying on maps when uploaded via the web or IOS App.  Our Engineering Team is investigating this, and we hope to have a fix rolled out soon.  

Jane (she/her)

It looks like photo thumbnails only appear on the web, not the (iOS) app. @Jane, is that the way the feature is supposed to work?

Screenshots from the same activity — web:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 18.39.53.png

iOS app:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 18.40.04.png

It's always been like that but you should be able to upload the pics from phone

Vik

Did the problem with tagging photos on map is resolved?

I did add some photos today and they are not displaying on Strava activity map.

just please don’t tell me that you are still working on it .