cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling 365 day KOM Leaderboards/Badge

Richard
Mt. Kenya

Wouldn't it be great if there was a rolling 365 day KOM Leaderboard (with awarded trophies - top 10 and PR's).

I think this will really freshen up the segments. 

I think strava tried something similar a few years ago but it was just a Jan to Dec leaderboard but that didn't really work - ride on 1st Jan and get every segment KOM lol.

10 REPLIES 10

Salespunk
Mt. Kenya

I have an idea on how to update KOM's to drive more engagement across the platform as well as make it more enjoyable.  The idea is create a KOM/FKT split where KOM's are more ephemeral.  The problem with the current KOM format is that it doesn't account for changing trail conditions, roadway changes, weather etc.  An example is this segment;

https://www.strava.com/segments/5940262?filter=overall

They recently added multiple roundabouts to this section of road.  There are 44K attempts on the segment, the KOM is likely a data error or bus draft and most of the top 10 times are from 2016 or earlier.  Mountain bike segments are even more affected since the trails degrade over time, receive maintenance making them faster/slower, etc.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3479412?filter=overall

This is an example of a very popular trail where most of the top 10 has not changed since 2014.  There have been multiple changes in routing, trail work, erosion, etc that has made the trail significantly slower than it used to be.

Here is my proposed solutions.  Previously Strava tried to change KOM's to be annual.  It was a good thought, but poorly executed since it reset on January 1st meaning that the early KOM's were just whomever rode them early.  Therefore getting a KOM wasn't tough or even relevant until mid year sometimes.  I believe the solution is to go to a rolling 365 or 730 days.  This would ensure that fast times stay on the board and every KOM would be an achievement.  It would also correct for changing conditions or things like car drafting etc.  It would also slowly remove data errors naturally from the segments.

In response to those want to see permanent KOM's, switch to an FKT leader board.  First a Strava KOM is truly an FKT since it is only the known times.  Second an arbitrary number of people could be posted on the FKT board, say top 1% plus anyone who posted a top 10 KOM time.  If someone sets a time within the FKT it could be recognized via a special badge and if they set a top 10 KOM (within the last 365 days rolling say) they could earn two badges on a single segment.

IMO this would drive significantly more user engagement since chasing a Top 10 KOM time would actually become relevant again while also still recognizing the fastest overall times via an FKT badge/leader board.

Hello @Salespunk 

Thanks for posting about this.  I'm merging this suggestion in with this existing one since they are similar/overlapping.  I would suggest adding any additional comments you may have and also add your vote (kudos).  

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

FKT is Fastest Know Time.  An FKT is more representative of what the fastest time posted in Strava really is since someone could have gone faster and just not been in Strava or not made it public. 

For a rolling year leaderboard an idea already exists: https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/strava-features-chat/rolling-365-day-kom-leaderboards-badge/m-p/7...

What means FKT?

Shant
Mount Logan

Richard this is great. Someone had suggested a similar feature for segments called prince/princess of a segment. The KOM/QOM are still forever, but 2nd place segments reset every year. 

Shant Hagopian
Attorney & Athlete
Next race: LA Marathon (3/17/24)

powerslave
Mt. Kenya

Perhaps the KOM isn't awarded until Dec 31st or Jan 1st for the previous year. 

For MTB, trail conditions change over time and it may not be possible ride the segment as fast as it once was; the trail gets heavily rutted, or overgrown with brush, or a fallen tree requires a slight reroute.

JRH26
Mt. Kenya

Strava should do their due diligence and look at things like weight of the rider, watts, heart rate and speed to determine if it is even physically possible to be real. 

Sleestaks
Mt. Kenya

And how do we keep those pesky e-bike riders from marking their rides as rides?

VillaJimbo75
Mt. Kenya

I was thinking along similar lines as some segment KOMs are impossible to get now, especially if you've had a pro peloton through it. I think this a great idea. My idea was similar but maybe keeping a count of who has the fastest times on any fiven segment each year since Strava began. I did like the yearly KOMs too as I think that being the fastest of the year on any segment has merit. But it was possibly poorly implemented as whenever you went for a ride kn 1st of Jan every segment was an annual KOM!