cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rowing on Strava fails to use the data it collects

frankk
Mt. Kenya

If I go on a mountain bike ride with nothing but my HRM and my Garmin, Strava gives me a ride that shows me where I went, a graph of all my HR data, and a realistic estimate of my calories burned.

If I go on a hike with nothing but my iPhone to record on, Strava gives me my  route and my estimated calories burned

But if I go sculling with nothing but my HRM and the iPhone I record on, Strava does give me a row that shows me where I went and a graph of my HR data. But it fails to estimate my calories expended. This is frustrating: if I export my row to Training Peaks, that big fat zero for calories expended throws off TP’s estimate of my TSS, fatigue, etc.

Why does Strava not estimate my expended calories when rowing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi frankk,

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava shows Calories as they were provided to us by upload partners. If no value is sent, or you record with the Strava mobile app, we use our own calculations. At this time, Strava only performs calorie calculation on a ride, run, walk, and hike activities.

We have a knowledge base article about calorie calculations you may wish to review. 

Please let us know if you have any more questions on this topic.  Also - if you wish to suggest this as an idea for future development, you can share it to our Ideas Board so that others can also vote on your idea. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Thank you again for contributing to the Community!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi frankk,

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava shows Calories as they were provided to us by upload partners. If no value is sent, or you record with the Strava mobile app, we use our own calculations. At this time, Strava only performs calorie calculation on a ride, run, walk, and hike activities.

We have a knowledge base article about calorie calculations you may wish to review. 

Please let us know if you have any more questions on this topic.  Also - if you wish to suggest this as an idea for future development, you can share it to our Ideas Board so that others can also vote on your idea. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Thank you again for contributing to the Community!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team