cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segment Privacy

Adryanx
Shkhara

Many cyclist friends are abandoning Strava because of the segments. They would like to be able to make the times on the segments private but still leave the activity visible. Introducing a function that makes the times on the segments private would solve the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Adryanx 

Thanks for posting about this.  Setting activity privacy controls to "Followers" keeps segment times from appearing on public leaderboards, but does leave the activity visible to anyone following your account.

Full details on this can be found here.

Let me know if that's helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dg0
Shkhara

Simple solution: have separate controls for activities and segments

activity: private/followers/public

segments+ local hero: private/followers/public

This fix also solves another problem.  Many users want their activities on segments public without making their activity public.  For personal safety, setting activities to public is not advisable, since the entire non-excluded route is provided with time of day, allowing any Strava user to stalk a victim on their regular route.  Public leaderboards for segments and local legends would not show a full route and only provide the date of the achievement, which is less useful to stalkers and other miscreants. 

Jan_Mantau
Denali

I'm curious why others shouldn't see the segment times. Is that some kind of pressure or more competition than desired?

On another node it would be necessary to hide the analysis area on the Strava web site for others too else they could see the segment times from there.

Exact. Some feel pressured and judged for their times on the scores and prefer to abandon Strava.

Adryanx
Shkhara

ok, but the times on the segments remain visible to the followers. I propose to make them private. I propose we can hide them like other stats (power, heart rate)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Adryanx 

Thanks for posting about this.  Setting activity privacy controls to "Followers" keeps segment times from appearing on public leaderboards, but does leave the activity visible to anyone following your account.

Full details on this can be found here.

Let me know if that's helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team