cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava segment moderation

FelTTie
Mt. Kenya

Why there is no moderation possibility for segment creator in strava? If you create a segment, for example you create segment from your roadbike ride, and you want all efforts to be done with solo roadbike rides, soon it will be full of TT bike efforts, group ride efforts or E-bike/or other suspicious efforts..

I think it would not be impossible to add few buttons while creating  a segment these days. (roadbike only or TT bike only or gravel bike only, also mandatory power/hr data ect. selection would be nice to have)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is practical or realistic for this platform.  You have to realize there is absolutely no way that Strava can accurately determine if someone is riding in a "group ride" or solo.  Who's to say they didn't break away from the group they were riding with to earn a KOM solo?  I've done a lot of rides in the past where Strava indicated that I was "riding with" other people who I never saw along the ride at all, but just happened to follow a similar path for some part.  Even in races, it is easy to be within seconds of others, yet never gaining benefits from the group.  As far as specific bikes, you have to realize that most people don't bother to indicate what bike they are using in a given ride, so your data would be corrupted from the start.  Even those who do, often forget to update their activities from time to time.  I just don't see how you could get a reliable data set for the kind of breakdown you are looking for within this system.  E-bikes are already separated, so that is a different subject.

View solution in original post

I have only one bike, but two power meters 😂. I appreciate what you're saying, especially as I ride mostly in Indonesia where power meters are definitely a luxury. But still it is very rare for someone that is competing for a segment leader board position or KOM to not have a power meter. So I would suggest if you want to be on the leader board you need to supply data to verify your time. At the very least segments that are fairly well contested should have this feature. Or anyone has the option to include it when creating a segment

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MalcolmS
Shkhara

First up I always flag my rides appropriately.  If one day I use my e-bike it's recorded on Strava as an E-Bike Ride.  If it's my road bike it's Ride.

I do like to compare my performance over rides. If there are no e-bike segments on a route then I create one that is identical to the road bike one.  However, Strava doesn't make it easy.  There's no copy facility ( I guess I get why) and I'm restricted to the number of segments I can create.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  We have an activity flag tool that allows Athletes to flag activities that contain invalid data, such as E-bike or motor paced efforts.   Our segment leaderboard guidelines explain in detail what efforts are invalid and can be flagged.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi. Well, yes and no.. i think flagging other persons activity is not right way to tell him that your segment effort is not allowed to be listed on this segment. For example, person A rides in a fast group and they go through segment X which is only made for purpose of measuring solo efforts with roadbike. Its not right for Person A to flag his activity because he was just having fun in group ride, and accidentally during group ride took KOM of that segment. By setting a rule, "solo ride only" that group ride effort is not calculated.

Also if there were categories for segments it would be way much better way to list and moderate efforts. Like i said earlier; TT bike only segments and TT efforts allowed only for listing results. Roadbike only segments... solo ride segments, no group activities allowed and so on.

Tagging along with what @anchskier and @MalcolmS have said, I agree that athletes self moderate between a 'human powered' bike vs. 'assisted power' bike.  As for breaking segments into all of these different permutations, that (to me) would just complicate the platform for the athletes - where would it stop? (I did this ride on 26" wheels vs. 29" wheels?  Ceramic bearing segments?).  If somebody takes a segment KOM from me, my two reactions are 1) great job and 2) now I need to pedal harder.  I think riding in a group or a TT bike is fair game.... motor pacing, or assisted power is not (to me).

BTW, I hope I'm not coming across poorly here, not trying to be argumentative or anything, but just feel like we would end up adding complications to the platform that may be detrimental to the athletes.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is practical or realistic for this platform.  You have to realize there is absolutely no way that Strava can accurately determine if someone is riding in a "group ride" or solo.  Who's to say they didn't break away from the group they were riding with to earn a KOM solo?  I've done a lot of rides in the past where Strava indicated that I was "riding with" other people who I never saw along the ride at all, but just happened to follow a similar path for some part.  Even in races, it is easy to be within seconds of others, yet never gaining benefits from the group.  As far as specific bikes, you have to realize that most people don't bother to indicate what bike they are using in a given ride, so your data would be corrupted from the start.  Even those who do, often forget to update their activities from time to time.  I just don't see how you could get a reliable data set for the kind of breakdown you are looking for within this system.  E-bikes are already separated, so that is a different subject.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply.  You are correct, we don't require that segment efforts be done solo, or prohibit time trial bikes.  

This sounds like an idea to share to our Feature Suggestion board, so that others can also vote on your idea. We kindly ask that you review our Feature Suggestions guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Thank you for your contribution, we value your input.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Everyone is concentrating on all the points FelTTie made that are nearly impossible to moderate, but not on the basic two that would really help. Verified power and heart rate for segments. Surely this would be simple to add as a requirement?

many people, myself included, don’t have power meters on all of our bikes.  I regularly ride on 5 different bikes depending on the type of riding I am doing.  No way I can afford to put power meters on all of them or take the time to swap out parts daily to move a power meter around.  I also feel no need to use a heart rate monitor for my riding.  Should I not be eligible for segment KOMs because I don’t pay tons of money for the fact gadgets? 

I have only one bike, but two power meters 😂. I appreciate what you're saying, especially as I ride mostly in Indonesia where power meters are definitely a luxury. But still it is very rare for someone that is competing for a segment leader board position or KOM to not have a power meter. So I would suggest if you want to be on the leader board you need to supply data to verify your time. At the very least segments that are fairly well contested should have this feature. Or anyone has the option to include it when creating a segment