cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava should enable gift subscriptions again

ron_anejo
Mt. Kenya

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001685450-Gifting-a-Subscription states:

"For the time being, we have removed the option to gift a subscription to an athlete. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience."

This seems to be a really bad idea. I was just looking up how to give a gift subscription. If it isn't possible, I'll be spending my Christmas gift money elsewhere.

Strava should consider enabling gift subscriptions again and stop throwing income away.

46 REPLIES 46

Thanks for the update and transparency. I wanted to share that I found this thread while trying to gift subscription upgrades to 2 people I ride with. I guess they will stay on the free tier. 

TomBK
Mt. Kenya

@Soren Any news related to this subject?

elam101
Mt. Kenya

This is really weird, has anyone heard from Strava why they would do this?

I imagine they're blocked by Google and Apple from doing so, but they can't tell us that. I've seen other apps that don't accept gifts too, instead encouraging gifts through the app stores.

SSynan
Mt. Kenya

It’s weird that this isn’t an option. Why would they remove it? It’s literally free money for them for almost no effort on their part except some sort of gift card redeeming service (which used to exist). I have wanted to gift two people Strava at this point.

I agree, @SSynan .  This was a perfect gift to several of my cycling friends who would not normally pay for a subscription.  Strava had a marketing-free method to generate revenue and subscribers.  As @ron_anejo said, I will be spending my Christmas money elsewhere.

I did NOT renew my own subscription over this.  This issue, plus the rate increase that Strava recently made has turned me off of them.  Garmin Connect and Ride with GPS offers similar features for much less.