cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming map

Emma6181
Mt. Kenya

Why when I swim in the sea, does it not put a map on my activity. Sometimes it does, other times it doesn’t. I have gps and my phone is alway with me too

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Emma6181

Thanks for posting about this. For outdoor swims where you're recording with a GPS device, you should see a map for your activities. If you don't, it's likely due to a problem with the GPS data being recorded.

Our Support Team would be happy to look into this further for you. Please submit a support ticket.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NickRunBikeMN
Pico de Orizaba

If you are referring to your public activity, could be you haven't travelled outside of your privacy bubble if you have setting set to "Hide the start and end points of activities no matter where they happen"  (hides #.# mile/km of start)
...However on your own login feed... still should show privacy areas.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Emma6181

Thanks for posting about this. For outdoor swims where you're recording with a GPS device, you should see a map for your activities. If you don't, it's likely due to a problem with the GPS data being recorded.

Our Support Team would be happy to look into this further for you. Please submit a support ticket.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Jan_Mantau
Denali

Maybe some activities were recorded as indoor swims or the GPS reception was really bad (even slightly under water there is no reception anymore).

That explains it

That can't be right, otherwise you could not use Strava for swimming?

People rely on all kinds of convoluted tricks to record GPS on open-water swims, such as unnaturally throwing their hands over the water while swimming breaststroke; or keeping their watch inside their swim cap; just to allow it to connect to the satellites. You may have better luck with GPS while swimming backstroke, front crawl, and butterfly, but no guarantees.

What do you mean with "Use Strava for swimming"? Using the Strava App for recording a swim maybe? Do you know that a bunch of apps and devices exist that can record swims and uploads the recording to Strava? These aren't restricted to the Strava app shortcoming of only recording something with GPS data.