cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Noob here-how did Strava determine distance on indoor walk?

jk90068
Mt. Kenya

Usually use Strava for outdoor walks. Today, I started a walk inside a mall. I was not expecting to get distance/speed info and I did not see the app displaying such info during the walk. After I saved the walk though, it does show a distance. Using Strava app on iPhone 13. No Apple Watch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jk90068 

The Strava Mobile App is not designed to record indoor walks or runs.  You mention that you "started" your activity inside.  Does that mean you then went outside to finish the recording?

It can sometimes be possible for devices to obtain weak GPS signals when indoors, depending on the proximity of large windows or skylights.  Did a map show up on your recorded activity?  That means the GPS signal was connected and recording.   Keep in mind that if you're indoors and the signal is weak, it's likely the map and the distance are erroneous.  

If you would like us to take a look at your recorded activity and provide any more details, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jk90068 

The Strava Mobile App is not designed to record indoor walks or runs.  You mention that you "started" your activity inside.  Does that mean you then went outside to finish the recording?

It can sometimes be possible for devices to obtain weak GPS signals when indoors, depending on the proximity of large windows or skylights.  Did a map show up on your recorded activity?  That means the GPS signal was connected and recording.   Keep in mind that if you're indoors and the signal is weak, it's likely the map and the distance are erroneous.  

If you would like us to take a look at your recorded activity and provide any more details, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team