cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point in hiding the start/end points of a VIRTUAL ride?

jk79
Mt. Kenya

Did the developer think, when they released a feature, which allows to automatically hide the start- and end-point of a ride, that maybe, just MAYBE, that should NOT be applied to VIRTUAL rides?

I can imagine, that someone does not want to bother setting up geo-zones of privacy, and they want to use the new feature (that is automatically enabled btw) for their IRL rides, that they do not want to have to edit each VIRTUAL ride? (especially in a clumsy way, where the start- and end-point have to be edited via separate sliders, instead of the UI providing a simple button, which disables hiding of anything, if people do not want to use the feature on that ride .. if it really "has to" be done manually for every VIRTUAL ride)

Let's be honest - I do not care the slightest, if everyone knows, that I did a VIRTUAL ride in Spain, Chile, or Australia .. and I strongly doubt, that ANYONE does.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi jk79,

Thanks for your post.  We did consider if this feature should be applied to virtual activities.  We took into account the fact that virtual activities can represent real places, and Athletes have the ability to create virtual courses that might start or end at their homes.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jk79
Mt. Kenya

To my understanding, this feature is primarily for people, who change locations so often, that they do not want to be bothered with setting up dedicated privacy geo-zones. Even if I am on a cycling vacation for just 2 weeks, I do bother setting up a privacy geo-zone around my hotel.

So from that perspective, I do not agree with your agrument. People have long ago bothered to setup a a dedicated privacy geo-zone for their home - which, to my understanding, would be still in-effect, when they ride on a virtual ride, through the area with the same GPS coordinates.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi jk79,

Thanks for your post.  We did consider if this feature should be applied to virtual activities.  We took into account the fact that virtual activities can represent real places, and Athletes have the ability to create virtual courses that might start or end at their homes.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Consider a simple boolean flag that disables hiding start and end for virtual routes. I have to imagine the highest percentage of virtual rides happen on zwift. It's annoying to see they grayed out on the maps for virtual rides. 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings