cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with OpenStreetMap

Eric77
Mt. Kenya

I ride over a certain stretch of road often and have been trying to create routes that use this same stretch of road, but the Strava route builder will detour me tens and thousands of climbing feet out of the way.  The problem is that the road source used in the route map has a stretch of road incorrectly identified as motorway.  What is the best way to fix this?

Here's a bit of context.  The road is Pacific Coast Highway in California just south of Las Posas.  This is about 40 miles WNW of Santa Monica.  Pacific Coast Highway is a main cycling thoroughfare connecting the Los Angeles area to Oxnard/Ventura.  Just south of Las Posas the road splits into two travel directions with a pronounced divider.  It looks like a motorway, but the speeds are still 55 mph.  The first offramp is Las Posas and cyclists exit here to continue north.  Because OSM had a short section of PCH labeled as a motorway cyclists were routed through the Santa Monica mountains.

I have done two things on OSM.  I changed the road type of PCH leading to Las Posas from Motorway to Trunk Road.  I believe that change should fix the routing issue.  I also mirrored the shoulder cycle route on 101 at Bates road by creating a shoulder cycle path through the section of PCH that had formerly been classified as motorway.  This is a belt and suspenders approach.  Which method is better going forward?

How long doe sit typically take for a change in OSM to propagate to Strava routes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Eric77,

I believe the first method you chose is the best moving forward. The second method is great as well to avoid any confusion in the future.

As for your last question, it's hard to give an exact timeline as multiple factors go into updating the maps. If you head to our support article here and scroll to the bottom, you'll have more information about your changes being reflected within Strava.

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Eric77
Mt. Kenya

Hi-

It's been quite some time since I made the change to OpenStreetMap and I am still not seeing the route correction in Strava.  According to Strava's routing, it's not possible to ride on Pacific Coast Highway at Las Posas, yet this is the standard Pacific Coast Bike Route, hundreds of cyclists do so every day, and the signage in the area indicates cyclists are allowed on the road.  What other steps can I take?  I am trying to build a route I can share with club members for an upcoming double century that will go through this stretch.  Right now Strava has us detouring through the Santa Monica mountains.

Eric77
Mt. Kenya

Thanks for the feedback

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Eric77,

I believe the first method you chose is the best moving forward. The second method is great as well to avoid any confusion in the future.

As for your last question, it's hard to give an exact timeline as multiple factors go into updating the maps. If you head to our support article here and scroll to the bottom, you'll have more information about your changes being reflected within Strava.

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team