cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher Strava distance than Garmin

NadiaK
Mt. Kenya

I have a Garmin Forerunner 745 and a Fenix 7s, both of them display the exact same distance when I run, but Strava always shows 200m extra distance when I log the activity on Strava directly without the watch. 
I have tried different courses, different locations, different speeds, sometimes with stopping in between, others with a continuous run, still Strava GPS records around 200m more than Garmin GPS. Why? It is so frustrating 😭

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @NadiaK 

Thanks for posting about this.  I want to clarify - are you recording with the Strava Mobile App and a Garmin device at the same time?  If so, the first thing I would recommend is that you set up the Garmin>Strava sync so you can sync your Garmin recorded data into Strava.  That may simplify things a bit.  Instructions to do that are here

As for the Strava App consistently recording extra distance - a common reason distance may be overestimated is a weak GPS signal.  Here are some general tips on improving GPS quality 

If you let me know what Mobile App you're using (Android or iPhone/IOS), I can provide some specific GPS troubleshooting tips for your phone.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thank you Jane for picking this up 🙌🏼

The only reason I am using both Strava mobile app and my watch to calculate at the same time is because I was told multiple times (by fellow runners) that my watch is reporting leas distance. So I used Strava to verify and it does. So either my Garmin is under reporting, or Strava is over reporting, and I dont know which one it is 😭

I am using an iPhone 14 with latest IOS and my Garmin is a Phenix 7s.