cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

Higher Strava distance than Garmin

NadiaK
Mt. Kenya

I have a Garmin Forerunner 745 and a Fenix 7s, both of them display the exact same distance when I run, but Strava always shows 200m extra distance when I log the activity on Strava directly without the watch. 
I have tried different courses, different locations, different speeds, sometimes with stopping in between, others with a continuous run, still Strava GPS records around 200m more than Garmin GPS. Why? It is so frustrating 😭

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Update from support:  We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Charlotte1
Mt. Kenya

Hello, I have a Garmin Venu 3 and an Iphone 14 and i have the same issue. Every run on Strava has a longer distance than the one my Garmin. Which one is correct?

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Update from support:  We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @NadiaK 

Thanks for getting back to us.  I'm going to escalate this query to our Support Team.  Someone from Support will be able to take a look at your activities and help determine why there is such a large discrepancy, and which device/App is more accurate.

Sit tight and someone will be in touch soon.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @NadiaK 

Thanks for posting about this.  I want to clarify - are you recording with the Strava Mobile App and a Garmin device at the same time?  If so, the first thing I would recommend is that you set up the Garmin>Strava sync so you can sync your Garmin recorded data into Strava.  That may simplify things a bit.  Instructions to do that are here

As for the Strava App consistently recording extra distance - a common reason distance may be overestimated is a weak GPS signal.  Here are some general tips on improving GPS quality 

If you let me know what Mobile App you're using (Android or iPhone/IOS), I can provide some specific GPS troubleshooting tips for your phone.

Jane (she/her)

Thank you Jane for picking this up 🙌🏼

The only reason I am using both Strava mobile app and my watch to calculate at the same time is because I was told multiple times (by fellow runners) that my watch is reporting leas distance. So I used Strava to verify and it does. So either my Garmin is under reporting, or Strava is over reporting, and I dont know which one it is 😭

I am using an iPhone 14 with latest IOS and my Garmin is a Phenix 7s.