cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing activity from Apple Watch to iPhone Strava

Bln745
Mt. Kenya

Hello,

I had a marathon today and finished the activity on Apple Watch. As it couldn’t be synced immediately I later choose the unsynched one and clicked there to sync. So watch is saying 0 synched ones. But it doesn’t come up on Strava. Checked all settings and usually it goes automatically and what I don’t track with Strava is imported automatically.

Health is showing calories and time correct.

any idea? Yes, restart done, my activity on Strava iPhone refreshed several times, nothing. I also tested with a new activity and it went through without issues.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Bln745
Thanks for your post. I took a look at your account and the error we are seeing on our end is 'the file has too few data points', meaning that there was insufficient data written to the activity file for our system to actually process it. This usually occurs when the watch can write neither GPS nor heart rate data to the file during the recording process.

Settings app > Health > Data Access & Devices > Strava

Heart Rate should have a green toggle to indicate that we are allowed to read this data. I have provided a screenshot of how this should look:

Scout_0-1702272559633.png

If these settings have been enabled,

• Please force close the Strava app on your Apple Watch and iPhone; confirm the applications are closed.
  • From there restart your Apple Watch and iPhone.
  • When your devices have restarted, can you see if this behavior persists when you record different activity types on the Strava Watch app?
  • Lastly, when you're recording with the Strava Watch app, is the heart rate icon just grayed out or are you seeing two dashes?
  • If you have Workout Power Saving mode enabled, please disable this feature as it can affect how often your Watch collects hr data. Watch app on the paired phone > Workout > Power Saving Mode(toggle should be off, no color)
  • Please note: during a recording, the iPhone and Watch apps behave independently. Activity stats will not appear on your phone if you're recording with the Strava Watch app and vice versa. If you're using your Apple Watch as a heart rate monitor, you'll need to record your activities with the Strava Watch app.
    If you'd like to connect a heart rate monitor to the Strava iPhone app you can learn more about pairing a Bluetooth device on our support page here.

Unfortunately we aren't able to fix or add in missing data for these activity files, but the above should provide the solution so that this doesn't happen with new workouts.

If you have further questions, please submit a support ticket and we can take a closer look.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bln745
Mt. Kenya

Hello Scout,

I think what you are referring too is the test I did after. The marathon I did on 42km had everything tracked. Otherwise the fitness app on Apple wouldn’t show nearly 5000 calories with 340 minutes on training.

All my settings were originally like you advised, nothing to change for me here.

Thanks that you’ve checked

Hey @Bln745
I see you also submitted a support ticket (#2774520). I took another look at your account, and there are two recent activities in your account that are not posted to your feed: 
1- the most recent test that you deleted (we can restore this activity)
2- the activity we show with the following error: 'the file has too few data points'

Please give the steps outlined in the previous post a go and let us know if you have any further issues. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Bln745
Thanks for your post. I took a look at your account and the error we are seeing on our end is 'the file has too few data points', meaning that there was insufficient data written to the activity file for our system to actually process it. This usually occurs when the watch can write neither GPS nor heart rate data to the file during the recording process.

Settings app > Health > Data Access & Devices > Strava

Heart Rate should have a green toggle to indicate that we are allowed to read this data. I have provided a screenshot of how this should look:

Scout_0-1702272559633.png

If these settings have been enabled,

• Please force close the Strava app on your Apple Watch and iPhone; confirm the applications are closed.
  • From there restart your Apple Watch and iPhone.
  • When your devices have restarted, can you see if this behavior persists when you record different activity types on the Strava Watch app?
  • Lastly, when you're recording with the Strava Watch app, is the heart rate icon just grayed out or are you seeing two dashes?
  • If you have Workout Power Saving mode enabled, please disable this feature as it can affect how often your Watch collects hr data. Watch app on the paired phone > Workout > Power Saving Mode(toggle should be off, no color)
  • Please note: during a recording, the iPhone and Watch apps behave independently. Activity stats will not appear on your phone if you're recording with the Strava Watch app and vice versa. If you're using your Apple Watch as a heart rate monitor, you'll need to record your activities with the Strava Watch app.
    If you'd like to connect a heart rate monitor to the Strava iPhone app you can learn more about pairing a Bluetooth device on our support page here.

Unfortunately we aren't able to fix or add in missing data for these activity files, but the above should provide the solution so that this doesn't happen with new workouts.

If you have further questions, please submit a support ticket and we can take a closer look.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Hi Scout,

Sorry for jumping on this post. Im experiencing the same issues as above and have tried to follow your path to sort but can’t seem to find this pathway?

Settings app > Health > Data Access & Devices > Strava”

Is this on Strava app? Health app? iPhone settings?

kindest,

Steph

Hey @Stephwgriffith
Thanks for your post! You should be able to access this on your iphone. If you are having trouble locating this, please submit a support ticket and our team can walk you through this. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)