cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of marking a ride "commute"?

heaths
Shkhara

I've been marking rides to and from work as commutes pretty diligently, but I see from various reports on the site that commutes can be hidden, which makes me think maybe they aren't meant to be treated as significant exercise? I ride as hard on commutes as I do on non-commutes, just that my destination is work and I have paniers on my bike for a change of clothes, laptop, etc. If anything, that little extra weight burns a few more calories, I'm sure.

Would others count these as commutes? It is a little neat seeing how much CO2 I saved by not driving, though that's not really why I do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @heaths 

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava Athletes use the commute tag in different ways.  As you mentioned, tagging a ride as a commute will allow you to see the estimated carbon saved for that activity.  You also have the option to hide commutes from your Personal Heatmap or Training Log.  Some Athletes like to see their commutes in these views and others do no, so we recommend doing what works best for you.  

I agree commutes can be hard rides!  I occasionally commute to a co-working space that involves a lot of climbing.  Do you commute every day?  It's such a great way to get your workout in and avoid driving at the same time.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

willpage
Mt. Kenya

I found this thread looking for any explanation as to why calories are hidden when a ride is marked as commute. I'm more interested in that than the carbon saved. I'd never drive to work anyway.

The reason I mark as Commute is because I know my local city council purchases data about rides marked as commute from Strava which they use to make decisions about where to invest in cycling infrastructure.

gparlagh
Shkhara

"tagging a ride as a commute will allow you to see the estimated carbon saved for that activity."

Not to mention the extra CO2 usage from the extra food needed, and extra effort from the ride.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @heaths 

Thanks for posting about this.  Strava Athletes use the commute tag in different ways.  As you mentioned, tagging a ride as a commute will allow you to see the estimated carbon saved for that activity.  You also have the option to hide commutes from your Personal Heatmap or Training Log.  Some Athletes like to see their commutes in these views and others do no, so we recommend doing what works best for you.  

I agree commutes can be hard rides!  I occasionally commute to a co-working space that involves a lot of climbing.  Do you commute every day?  It's such a great way to get your workout in and avoid driving at the same time.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

A couple times a week, weather-depending in the Pacific Northwest. It's a long ride both directions so time is more a factor.

I suppose I'll keep marking them as commutes. I may get a second, dedicated road bike so my commuter - with all the attachments now (rack, front fender) - will be heavier; otherwise, it's a fairly light gravel bike with 700c road tires.