cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing privacy settings and affect on previous activities

Sb329
Mt. Kenya

I'd like to either delete my privacy zone over my home address and rely on the hidden start/end of activities, or make it smaller.

Strava warns:

By deleting this address, all past activities that started and ended here will be fully visible in accordance with your privacy controls. Are you sure you want to delete this address?

So will all my previous activities revert to my current rules (400m hidden start and end) including those from before the hidden start and end was introduced?  Or will they be fully visible to everyone/followers only depending on that setting?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

-Charles-
Strava
Strava

Hello @Sb329,

I apologize for not replying sooner!

When you delete or reposition a hidden address in the Map Visibility settings on your Strava account, our system will consider the other Map Visibility settings configured on your Strava account. When multiple Map Visibility settings are configured, Strava will apply the setting which provides the greatest degree of privacy. For example, if you have enabled the option to hide maps from others completely as well as enabled the hiding of 400 meters of the start/end of your activities no matter where they happen, Strava will hide the entire map on your past activities which occurred within the radius around the now-deleted address. Activities which did not start/end within the radius around the hidden address will not have their Map Visibility settings updated.

In your case, if you have only enabled the option to hide 400 meters of the start/end of your activities no matter where they happen and you delete a hidden address, any activities which started or ended within the radius around that address will have 400 meters of the start/end hidden.

It should be noted that if you manually adjust the Map Visibility settings on an individual activity, this action overrides the Map Visibility settings on your Strava account. An activity whose Map Visibility settings have been manually adjusted will not have its settings updated when you reposition or delete a hidden address, even if the activity started or ended within the radius around that address.

I hope this information answers your questions. If you could use any additional information, feel free to reply with a comment and I will follow up.

---
Charles | Support Coordinator
Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings