cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevation Correction

cbsilva
Mt. Kenya

Hi!

I am using Strava a few years now, and I have some older activities that had the elevation corrected by the old feature when you clicked over the elevation value and corrected but I am seeing that the values where very different from reality. I want to re-run the elevation correction with the new feature but clicking the 3 dots menu I don't have that option. How can I do it without exporting GPX, reimporting and loosing all comments and kudos?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey All!

Thanks for your posts.

If your device has a barometric altimeter and it is included in our device database, the activity page will display the elevation that the device recorded into the file.

If you record with one of our mobile apps or your device doesn't have a barometric altimeter, the activity page will display a "corrected elevation". This process involves cross-referencing the GPS data in the file to our elevation Basemap which is our database of barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is based on the accuracy of your file's GPS data and the accuracy of our Basemap. Therefore, if your activity has GPS issues that may cause the elevation data to have issues.

You can read more here: Elevation for your activity

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey All!

Thanks for your posts.

If your device has a barometric altimeter and it is included in our device database, the activity page will display the elevation that the device recorded into the file.

If you record with one of our mobile apps or your device doesn't have a barometric altimeter, the activity page will display a "corrected elevation". This process involves cross-referencing the GPS data in the file to our elevation Basemap which is our database of barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is based on the accuracy of your file's GPS data and the accuracy of our Basemap. Therefore, if your activity has GPS issues that may cause the elevation data to have issues.

You can read more here: Elevation for your activity

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Jan_Mantau
Denali

I would say even with reimporting the gpx you would gain nothing as this would just exchange the wrong corrected elevation with the similarly wrong gps based elevation.

Yes, probably. The idea would be to use the Strava elevation correction feature. 😐

I'm not sure about the old rules for enabling the elevation correction feature but now the activity has to be recorded with a Strava recognized barometric device for this function to appear. So if it isn't there yet it won't come after reimporting the gpx.

Yes, but it is a bit strange... normally Strava uses the Elevation from my Garmin, so when I use "Correct Elevation" I believe it uses topographic maps information that Strava has. Strava team, can't you enable that feature for all activities?