cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New problems in route creation

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

It appears there have been some recent changes in routing that have started causing problems for me.

Here's one example:

https://www.strava.com/routes/3094852996270569588

You can see that instead of simply going straight at the light and crossing the road, Strava's route turns right at Olympic, then makes an illegal U turn across two lanes of traffic. Totally bizarre.

Can someone at Strava take a look? Thanks

30 REPLIES 30

Nestor
Mt. Kenya

Similar annoying problems. Routes hopping around and unable to use manual mode to force a route through a mapping error. Not looking for specific help (too late!) but want to flag another premium user unhappy with the experience. RideWithGPS is generally better.

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

Here's another example of a route I can't create without going manual. Can you see what's going on here?

https://www.strava.com/routes/3132789979759314496

I cannot connect the start/end points without the route taking a roundaboue way. As far as I can tell, the data on OSM is correct.

That's because the direct way is flagged as an informal path in OpenStreetMap. Strava doesn't route over those.

thanks; so weird that creating routes on this section was fine on Strava for many years until recently. I've gone ahead and split up that trail segment so that the trail after the parking lot is not tagged as 'informal'

hi @dantsai which edge is marked as informal? I'm in OSM now and not seeing any. I also see some recent changes from an OSM user with a similar name as you? Did you already submit the change in OSM, if so, thank you!

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/140858876#map=16/37.9502/-122.1260

This is the change i made in OSM.  Looking at the history, it appears EBRPD incorrectly marked the entire path as informal 8 months ago

Ok - thanks so much. That would be the issue. We are working on a fix! 

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

@nicky 

Mt Diablo Rd in the SF Bay Area is no longer under construction. I've made the edit in OSM; is there any way this can be updated in the Strava Route Editor as well? This is a major cycling road, it'd be great if this could be updated as soon as possible. Thanks!

RobJack
Mt. Kenya

I have used Strava for years mainly for creating routes and recording rides. I pay premium but am so exasperated by whatever update Strava has applied that has made creating a route so difficult in fact impossible. I'm ready to cancel subscription now!

Planning a route out seems to be ok but upon return it necessitates using way points! But when I put end of route in it changes the final section of my route despite me using a waypoint in a vain attempt to head correct direction. So frustrating, have attached photo of route

IMG_20230831_151346.jpg

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings