cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking photos while biking is dangerous

OpticsDan
Shkhara

Anyone think taking photos while biking with your phone is dangerous?

I’m a camera guru and passionate about most forms of biking. I love taking cool photos and posting them to my Strava activity log. But I find phone cameras and other sports cameras on the market to be either dangerous, not cool, or uncomfortable. 

Anyone have input on this topic?

19 REPLIES 19

Photo's look great! Would you use a mounted sports camera instead or are they not really good enough yet?

Vik

@VikK - The mounted sports cameras are great, but they have their limitations.  I currently have a GoPro Hero 10 that I am getting used to using.  The video quality is amazing.  I still can't figure out how the stabilization is so good when mountain biking.  I can have it fixed to my handlebar, yet I can see in the video where the cables and bars come into and out of view by a significant distance despite knowing the camera is moving just as much as they are.  The main drawback to it is that it is fixed to one spot with one perspective.  I can take photos with it and/or take screen captures from it's feed, but it is only looking one direction and from one elevation.  When out biking, I often want to get photos of things off to the side or from a perspective above the trailside brush line.  This is where the phone comes in.  Many times, I can pull it out of my jersey pocket, take a photo, and put it back without ever even looking at the phone more than a general glance to make sure I am pointing in the right direction.  I usually take a number of photos as I move the phone around so I can pick the best one when I have a chance to review them.  

Thank you. A friend just gifted me a GoPro he never uses, so I'll be trying that out soon on my K-edge handlebar mount -- for videos, not photos though. I'm not a fan of the distortion. I haven't looked into other sports cameras. What do you think of the available options and have you tried any?

@Soren  I've recently been trying out a Gopro vs an iphone. My main issues I have with the gopro are:

1) if it is helmet mounted it adds significant weight and throws my head off balance - also looks questionable! 

2) the process of reviewing photos/videos from the gopro and getting them uploaded to strava is long and cumbersome. 

I agree on the fish eye distortion - doesn't look natural. I've tried the "flat" setting on the gopro and find that is fairly good. 

I haven't tried any so was curious if someone who takes pictures think they are any good. I have the same balance skills as @Jane , I still won't grab a water bottle on the move! 

Vik

Great photos - once did a MTB through the Saguaro National Park west of Tucson - amazing scenery.

Sounds wonderful. I've only been to the eastern Saguaro NP, which was a ridiculously fun but short one way route, much akin to a rollercoaster for bikes. I had never really seen such grandiose cacti before going there, I would love to spend more time in Tucson!

CreakyCrank
Kilimanjaro

Agree with @anchskier : bike handling skills are a big part of this, but so is situational awareness.  Are you in a car-free area, with known terrain - or are you mountain biking down a rocky/rutted/twisty trail at high speed? 

Safety first (for yourself and all others nearby). I take photos on nearly every ride I'm on, never had any crashes or close calls - never endangered anybody else, as I check and re-check myself and surroundings first, and make sure that I am not putting myself or others in danger.

@anchskier and @CreakyCrank  thanks for the input! On my rides, I'm always finding spots to take photos and make a snap decision to stop and take a photo or risk trying to take one one handed.  Have you ever tried bike mounted or helmet-mounted cameras for taking photos for strava? 

anchskier
Denali

Like a lot of things, it isn't a simple answer.  In my opinion, it depends a great deal on the specific situation and the skill set of the rider.  

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings