cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wisdom Wednesday - September 13, 2023

Kimberly22
Strava
Strava

Question: I recorded an activity on my device and the numbers are different after posting to Strava - Why? We’ve all been there where we have finished up an amazing ride or run recorded on our device and when it is posted to Strava, the numbers are different. What is up?

image (8).png

Remember to submit your answer in the comments by September 22nd. The winner will be randomly selected from the correct answers to win a free one-month Strava subscription! 🙌 

The lucky winner will be announced on September 27th along with our next Wisdom Wednesday question!

Already a Strava Subscriber? You'll get a free month added to the end of your Subscription period.

Click here to subscribe to this series and ensure you don't miss any future posts:  Wisdom Wednesdays

Kimberly22 (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

10 REPLIES 10

Kimberly22
Strava
Strava

Thank you to those who participated in our first Wisdom Wednesday series!

Congrats to our randomly selected winner, @JBW-Florida for their correct answer! We will be reaching out to you regarding your free, one-month subscription.

While JBW - Florida’s answer is correct, another factor that could have resulted in varying data is the distance stream.

Not all activity files will provide distance information. If the activity file does not provide this information Strava will calculate its own distance based on the available GPS data. Some files do include distance information, but if the device isn’t recognized by our system, Strava will also calculate its own distance based on the available GPS data.

If your activity file includes distance information and is recorded by a recognized device Strava will use the distance that is in the file. Keep in mind that the distances stored in the GPS file are stored in meters, so if you’re still seeing a very slight difference it is likely due to a rounding discrepancy when converting from meters to miles or kilometers.

If you’d like to know if Strava is calculating distance or if we’re using the distance that’s in the file:

• Go to your activity page on the website (this feature is currently not accessible in our mobile apps)
  • From the activity page click on (◦◦◦)
  • Go to your activity page on the website (this feature is currently not accessible in our mobile apps)
  • From the activity page click on (◦◦◦)
  • If you see the option to “Correct Distance”, it means the activity is currently showing the distance that was included in the uploaded file.

Kimberly22_0-1695404660980.png

• If the “Correct Distance” option is missing, it means that Strava is calculating the distance based on the available GPS data.
  • From the pop-up, if you click “Correct Distance”, the activity distance will then be calculated by Strava using the available GPS data
  • When the status changes from “Calculating” to “Updated,” refresh the page.

Change your mind? That’s OK! Simply follow the directions above again and select ‘Revert Distance’ and the original stats will be reinstated.

Next Wednesday, September 27th, we will pose another question for your chance to win a free one-month subscription! Thank you to everyone who participated. Happy Trails!

Kimberly22 (she/her)

Thank you very much.  It's been a while since I won something in cycling.  I already got my voucher for the one-month membership.  Thank you again.  

JBW

JS
Shkhara

Discrepancies occur when the device used isn't a Strava Trusted Device. This happens a lot when a manufacturer releases a brand new model that Strava doesn't yet have it in their database. An example I was personally involved with was the first edition of Garmin Enduro APAC version. I reached out to Strava, submitted several FIT files and once Strava's databased was updated, data synced across matched especially for models that have built-in barometer where the recorded Elevation Gain numbers are also synced without correction. 

Thank you for your participation - Stay tuned for the answer!

Kimberly22 (she/her)

JBW-Florida
Elbrus

The one-sentence answer: Rounding errors! Now, the geek squad explanation: Most bike computers, and I assume watches, record distances in meters, and display distances in the user's chosen unit of measure, metric or customary. Normally the display of kilometers or miles presents only two digits to the right of the decimal point, so a rounding takes place internally making the result less precise, but more manageable for the average user when they view it on the screen.

Most devices and activity tracking websites take that file made by the GPS unit and round up. However there's one website that takes the file provided and rounds down. You guessed it: Strava is the one rounding down.

I see the above scenario happening to me almost every time I ride. I can hit pause & save on the Garmin unit at 37.01 miles. The Strava activity page will show exactly 37.00.

The above are not GPS errors, but there are some instances where you and your riding companion can record differing distances even though you both pressed start and then save at the exact same times. Two devices can utilize differing methods of recording distance (wheel speed sensor vs. GPS only.) Some environmental factors provide a weaker satellite signal than others. A cheaper, earlier device may not write a datapoint to the file upon pressing save, relying only upon the last recorded point, even though it may have occurred a few meters back... thus robbing the user of that distance. There are probably about 12 or 15 oddities like these that may not be apparent every time you ride or run.

The rounding method I mentioned above is the primary bugaboo you must compensate for in doing a competitive event. You must go a bit beyond what your devise displays to assure you are credited by Strava with the required distance.

Sources:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919487-How-Distance-is-Calculated

https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/strava-features-chat/why-strava-distance-is-always-0-01-mile-shor...

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=P3DdzRfgik3fky125aHsFA&productID=552982&tab=topics&topicTag=re...

Thank you for your participation! Stay tuned - The answer and drawing are coming soon!

Kimberly22 (she/her)

DN_VeganRunner
Mt. Kenya

On Strava you have the options to Correct Elevation, Correct Distance or Crop the activity. These all work if you had a good GPS signal.

Thank you for your participation. Stay tuned for the answer!

Kimberly22 (she/her)

avi
Mt. Kenya

This generally happens because of bad GPS data.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings