cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to solve Error 403: Limit of connected athletes exceeded

dantran
Mt. Kenya

Dear Strava,

I'm looking to develop an application that takes advantage of strava's API. But when I use the API to log in with a second account, the following error appears:

1. Issue 1
Error 403: Limit of connected athletes exceeded.
This app has exceeded the limit of connected athletes. If you are a developer of this application, please contact Strava developer support for how to request a quota increase.

2. Issue 2
After the an user login successfully, I use the api "/api/activities".
I only get 3 activities, while the user has 4 activities.

Please prepare a sandbox environment for me so I can integrate the API. If everything works perfectly, we will consider using the API for production. We will then continue to ask you about the API usage quota as a service that you can provide to us on a more permanent basis.

Following is my application information:
- Client ID: 121112
- Overall Rate Limits: 200 requests every 15 minutes, 2,000 daily
- Read Rate Limits: 100 requests every 15 minutes, 1,000 daily
- Number of athletes allowed to connect: 1
- Number of athletes currently connected: 1

Please guide me so I can develop the application successfully.

Best regards,
Dan Tran
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. In theory, once your app is approved there is a process in place to monitor your limits and adjust them to match traffic. You shouldn't need to submit another form.
  2. I don't really understand your question. The API and Oauth flow are the same no matter what platform you use. It is just a matter of what libraries (or custom code) you use to make the API calls, so as long as your code is correct it should work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

dantran
Mt. Kenya

Hi,
I applied a form to increase the limit but how long does strava developer can response and move from a single test user to around 30000 participants asap.

Thanks,

Dan

danit_001
Mt. Kenya

Thank you Jan_Mantau and ActivityFix,
I have other questions.
1. When my app got a rate limit, I must submit another form to increase the API limits, so could you provide me the form?
2. Currently, I am develop the web by reactjs and use strava API, in the future I will develop a mobile app using the webview to load this Reacjs website. So I want to know I will work perfectly, I mean the OAuth2 works perfectly?
Thank you.

1. In theory, once your app is approved there is a process in place to monitor your limits and adjust them to match traffic. You shouldn't need to submit another form.
  2. I don't really understand your question. The API and Oauth flow are the same no matter what platform you use. It is just a matter of what libraries (or custom code) you use to make the API calls, so as long as your code is correct it should work.

Jan_Mantau
Denali

There is no cost, you will get an error similar to that for the connected athletes after your limit is reached.

danit_001
Mt. Kenya

Hello,
I just submitted the form according to your instructions.

I have another question. If my application has a larger amount of traffic than what you stated in the rate limit section, how will the cost (quota) be calculated? For example, 10 or 100 times more traffic. Can you quote us the cost?

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

Issue #1: See https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/developer-knowledge-base/our-developer-program/ta-p/8849

You will need to submit the form to have an increase in your API limits beyond a single user.

Issue #2: Without more information it's hard to say exactly what the problem is. Make sure the before and after timestamps you pass are in the correct range to pick up all the activities, and make sure you have the proper read scopes to view all of the activities (e.g. if an activity is private and you don't have activity:read_all, you won't see that activity).

If you already know the activity ID, try to read it with getActivityById and see if you get an error which might be more helpful in tracking down the issue.