cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Update access token scope or create a new access token

Eric_Greenpt
Shkhara

Hi all.

I have a django app that connects to Strava through oauth.

When I set the authorisation up, a while ago, I used the defaults that are detailled here , which means that the scope of my access token is read.

At that time, I did not know exactly what I would need, so it was fine.

But as my app progressed, I realised that the read scope prevented me from getting any ride data that falls under my privacy settings.

So I wanted to update the scope to read_all and to add activity:read_all also, to get all the data.

But I have not been successful at all at modifying the scope of my access token.

I' ve tried to create another one (including following https://developers.strava.com/docs/authentication/ ) byt when I check on my settings/api page, the scope is still read.

Strangely enough, I now have two tokens that I can use to connect, but the one with extended scope works only when I curl, not when I use django.

I have run out of ideas on how to either delete my current access token and create a new one, or to update the scope of the existing one, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eric_Greenpt
Shkhara

I have created a new client secret and updated my django configuration to use it, and after login in again, the access token has been updated and I have access now to all the data from my rides.

Apologies for the noise.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jan_Mantau
Denali

The token on the settings/api page is only for testing basic features (reading your own athlete stats). It doesn't have a use for a real app and the scope can't be extended. You have to use the second token you have generated and refresh that from time to time. Though as I don't know anything about django I can't help with using and refreshing the good token there.

Hi @Jan_Mantau Thanks for the explanation of the use of the default token.

As I mentionned in a comment that I likely posted at the same time as yours, I managed to get a token with the proper scope and access to all the data I need.

Thanks for your help.

Eric_Greenpt
Shkhara

I have created a new client secret and updated my django configuration to use it, and after login in again, the access token has been updated and I have access now to all the data from my rides.

Apologies for the noise.

Thank you.