cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing activity distance in private database

kuba1stach
Mt. Kenya

Hello

I want to create app for me and my friends - around 10 people.

We want to share out activities within this app but it will be only for our private usage. We want to scale some results within different types of activities and create ranking who made the longest distance.

So I need to store in my private database  three information from Strava: date, distance, athlete name.

Is it possible to store such information in private database? Because I found in API Agreement such statement: “your Developer Applications are prohibited from storing any Strava Data”

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ActivityFix
Superuser
Superuser

I don't think it is a problem, for a variety of reasons. Pick your favorite(s) 😉

1. I wouldn't consider the date and distance as Strava's data, that is information you could get directly from the user's activity files with no manipulation required. This is different from something like segment efforts or similar data which are specific to Strava. You're using Strava as a way to get that data but you could just as easily get it from another source.
  2. You've said you're scaling results which means the data you're storing has been changed to something else, so it is now your data.
  3. Tons of other very popular/large apps are almost certainly storing data, e.g. stathunters, veloviewer, intervals.icu and they still exist after years.
  4. Depending on how you read the agreement, you could interpret it as you are allowed to store that data as long as it isn't shared with 3rd parties other than the authorized user.
    Except for such limited caching, your Developer Applications are prohibited from storing any Strava Data or providing or displaying such data or any associated service to any third party other than the Strava user using your Developer Applications.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ActivityFix
Superuser
Superuser

I don't think it is a problem, for a variety of reasons. Pick your favorite(s) 😉

1. I wouldn't consider the date and distance as Strava's data, that is information you could get directly from the user's activity files with no manipulation required. This is different from something like segment efforts or similar data which are specific to Strava. You're using Strava as a way to get that data but you could just as easily get it from another source.
  2. You've said you're scaling results which means the data you're storing has been changed to something else, so it is now your data.
  3. Tons of other very popular/large apps are almost certainly storing data, e.g. stathunters, veloviewer, intervals.icu and they still exist after years.
  4. Depending on how you read the agreement, you could interpret it as you are allowed to store that data as long as it isn't shared with 3rd parties other than the authorized user.
    Except for such limited caching, your Developer Applications are prohibited from storing any Strava Data or providing or displaying such data or any associated service to any third party other than the Strava user using your Developer Applications.